Someone Like Stefan (Klefan)

Klaus Mikaelson was overseeing the closing-up of his Mystic Falls mansion for when he would permanently depart for New Orleans. He was rather happy, he decided, to get out of this little run-down town and back to the city, where the real action was happening. He never liked Mystic Falls much in the first place.

 "Klaus?"

 Well, there actually was one person.

 "Stefan Salvatore," he said. "You here to wish me well on my newest journey? Or will you and your little dream team be having a grand party once I'm gone?"

 "I'm sure there will be a lot of relief all around," Stefan replied. "You're not well-liked around here, you know."

 "Oh, I know. I seem to get on people's nerves quite often. Now, what do you want? I really must get all of my packing done. I'm to meet up with Elijah, and he gets annoyed if I take too long."

 "Then I won't be long," Stefan said. "When we were in Chicago in the 20s, you were so welcoming to me, so open. You even seemed a little jealous that Rebekah was the one I was in a romance with."

 "And your point is?" Klaus asked.

 "And then, when we saw each other again last year, in return for saving Damon, you made me who I was then and forced me into leaving with you. That's what you wanted. Me."

 Klaus looked away from him and said, "Stefan, I really don't know what you're getting at. If you're not here for any particular reason-"

 "I am here for a reason. Klaus, look at me."

 Sighing, he turned around and looked the younger vampire in the eyes.

 "I don't think you're as terrible as everyone thinks," Stefan said. "I think that's all that darkness is just your shield. You don't want anyone to know that you are vulnerable deep down. But I'm not stupid; I know there is vulnerability. I know you can love. You truly love Rebekah and Elijah." 

 "Well, of course I love them," Klaus said. "They're my sister and brother. Stefan-"

 "Elena and I are over, Klaus. She's with Damon now, and probably for good."

 "Oh." He hadn't heard about that. "I didn't realize-"

 "It's okay. You know, you can just admit you always had a bit of a thing for me. I think, deep down, I liked you a little, too."

 Those words sent a strange fluttering around in Klaus' chest. "What? You...oh. Well, I suppose I like you, too."

 Stefan smiled. "I think this is the first time I've seen you at a loss for words. But look, I have to stay here in Mystic Falls, at least for now. I feel like it's really become my home again. But maybe someday, when all of the insanity here is over and you're some big-shot down in New Orleans with all the ladies after you...would you consider giving me a chance, if the time was ever right for us?"

 Klaus merely nodded, not trusting his voice. With that, Stefan stepped up and gave him a soft kiss on the mouth.

 "Just had to do that," he said. "I was too curious. See you, Klaus."

 "Goodbye, Stefan," Klaus said softly as he went out the door.

 Klaus went up to his room after that. He needed to be alone. He had a few texts from Elijah, asking where he was, but he didn't bother to text his brother back. He would get there when he got there, whether Elijah liked it or not.

 Klaus was barely paying attention while packing, just stuffed as much stuff in a suitcase as he could. Stefan had liked him. Stefan kissed him. That's what was on his mind, and that was all that mattered.

 He had been smitten with Caroline Forbes. He got Hayley Marshall pregnant. But maybe all he ever really needed was someone like Stefan.