Day in the Park

Despite what some people may say, I, Finn Mikaelson, do believe in the importance of family.

 Unfortunately, that was how I got roped into taking Hope, my little niece, to the park. With Kol in tow.

 "Can I go over to the playground, Uncle Finn?" Hope asked me when we arrived.

 "Of course, dear," Kol said. "Uncle Finn and I will hang around here to keep an eye on her."

 I nodded. "You can go on."

 I sat down on a bench near the playground, attempting to act as if Kol weren't there. Instead, I concentrated on watching my niece to make sure there would be no trouble.

 "It's a lovely setting, isn't it?" Kol asked, sitting down next to me. "Warm day, sunshine everywhere, children happily playing." 

 "'Happily playing'?" I repeated. "They're running around like wild animals! Look at them. They remind me of you when you were at that age."

 "Now, I hardly think that's fair. Didn't you ever run around and play like that when you were a little boy?"

 "Yes, but I was dignified about it," I answered. "Why did you even insist on coming along, Kol? I didn't think you even liked children."

 "Well, Davina had to go out, and I didn't have much else to do."

 "You mean nothing else besides make me want to rip your head off."

 "Now, Finn, there are children nearby," Kol said. "Let's not get violent." 

 I had done my best to ignore him, but I turned on the bench to look him in the eye. "Let's not get violent!? Since when do you care about not being violent? In the nine hundred years you had me locked away in a coffin, violence is all you and our siblings caused!"

 "Don't shout, Finn," Kol said in a low voice. "People are starting to stare."

 "Uncle Finn! Uncle Kol!" Hope was waving to us from where she was on the playground.

 "Yes, we see you!" I called, waving back to her. "Be careful up there!"

 "If we weren't in public, I would have at you," I said to Kol through gritted teeth.

 Kol laughed. "Oh, would you? Would we be having a duel at dawn?"

 "Would you jut leave me alone? I brought Hope here because Freya asked me if I could watch her. You were never included in the original equation."

 Kol just smiled. "What can I say, big brother? I'm a joy to have around."

 "Kol! Finn!"

 We both turned to see Niklaus coming towards, and not the least bit happy.

 "Where is my daughter?" he demanded. "And who left you two fools in charge of her well-being?"

 "Yes, tell him, Finn," Kol said. "How did Hope end up in your care?"

 "I didn't ask to babysit her," I said. "Freya asked me if I could look after her for the afternoon, so I thought I would bring her here, to the park. And of course, Kol felt the need to invite himself along with us."

 "I thought it would be good to have extra protection," Kol said, flashing our brother a smile. Klaus merely scowled back.

 "Dad!" Hope came running over. "I didn't know you would be here. Uncle Finn and Uncle Kol said it would be okay if I went on the playground."

 "Oh, that's fine, dear," Klaus said to her, "But I think perhaps we should be going home."

 "Not yet," Hope said. "You can come over, Emily. This is my new friend, Emily, and her mom. We were wondering if-"

 "Yes, yes, we can come back," Klaus said taking her by the hand. "Tomorrow, I or your mother will bring you over."

 "Those are my uncles Kol and Finn," Hope said to the other girl. "They're nice."

 "Yes, I think we'll leave your uncles home tomorrow," Klaus said. "Now, come on. I'm sure your uncles have things to do."

 As they walked away, Kol said, "Well, he's a real load of joy, isn't he?"

 "I am very sorry about him," I said to the other girl's mother. "My bother is very moody, and not very social."

 "Oh, it's okay," the woman said. "Emily and I might be able to come back tomorrow. Come on, Emily," she said to the girl. As they were leaving, she turned back and said, "You two make a nice couple, by the way."

 "Thank you." Kol smiled and gave them a little wave. When they were gone, he said, "I suppose we don't look very much alike after all, huh?"

 "Do not even speak of it," I said. "Now, I am going home. You can join or not join me. I really do not care."

 The thought of being married to Kol was enough to make me want to vomit.

 Not surprisingly, I have not any outings to the park since then.