Elijah Mikaelson #6

You stand over the coffin, slipping your hand into his. You can't believe the Hollow actually killed Elijah. To you, he always seemed so invincible, like a force that could never be stopped.

 "Hey." Freya gently lays her hand on your shoulder. "Why don't you go get some rest? You've been here with him for hours."

 "Freya, you know I don't want to leave him," you say.

 "I know. But I'm going to have to ask you to. I know how to bring Elijah back, but I'm going to need some time and space. I'll ask him to come see you once he wakes up."

 You nod. "Okay." You take another look at Elijah before leaving the room.

 You go to one of the rooms upstairs to lie down and get some sleep. And you try, you really do, but you can't sleep.

 You love Elijah. You've known that for a while now. Being separated from him only made you realize how much you care for him and truly need him. You wish he could see you more as just a friend.

 You know he loves Hayley, but you also know she will never be able to truly be with him the way he wants to be with her. When she went into his mind, she was so clearly horrified by what she saw and learned. You know she won't want to be with him now, because she can't handle it. But you can. You know a vampire's nature, and you understand it. Elijah has always been good, and he only kills whenever he feels it's what he needs to do to protect his family. You know him inside and out, the person he truly is, and that is the person you fell in love with.

 Even though you thought you weren't tired, you drift off into sleep after a while, thinking about Elijah.

~~~~~~

 You wake up sometime later from the sound of someone knocking on your door.

 "Y/N? Y/N, it's Elijah. It's really me, I promise. Freya brought me back. Look, I don't know what you might have been told, but I wasn't in my right mind when I was in that pendant. I'm myself again, I promise you."

 You pretty much stopped listening after he said it was him. You pull open the door to see him standing there, waiting for you.

 "I don't care what you were like in that pendant," you say. "The you I know is here now, and that's all that matters to me." 

 He begins to smile. "That's all?"

 You nod. "That's all." You wrap your arms around him and rest your head against his shoulder. "I don't want to be without you."

 He hugs you back and says in your ear, "I don't think I would want to be without you, either."