Elijah Mikaelson #1

You knock on the open door. "Hey, there. Can I come in?"

 Elijah looks up from where he is sitting, alone.

 "Of course you can," he says. "I didn't know you were coming by."

 "I thought I'd surprise you," you say as you sit down next to him. "You seem pretty down. What did Klaus do this time?"

 You meant it as a joke, but Elijah doesn't smile.

 "That," he says, "Is a long story."

 "So Klaus actually did something?" you ask. "Wow, I meant that as a joke. All right, how many people did he kill this time?" 

 "Surprisingly enough, he didn't. It's Hayley, and her pack. He...they tried to leave New Orleans with Hope, because it wasn't safe for her here. Niklaus had a curse put on them."

 You sigh. "Oh, great. What was the curse?"

 "They will permanently remain in wolf form. The only time they will be human is on the full moon nights."

 You sit up straight. "Seriously? Who does that? Actually, that sounds exactly like something your brother would do. I'm...I'm sorry, Elijah. I know you like Hayley, and you were kind of hoping your brother could be better than that."

 "I was," Elijah says. "I thought he could be better. I never thought he would stoop that low. I don't want to do, Y/N. I feel so helpless in this."

 "Hey, you are not helpless," you say. "And don't you dare think you are. I've known you for a while now, Elijah, and I know you're better than that." You glance around the room. "I didn't know you had a radio in here."

 "Hmm? Oh, yes. We listen to it sometimes."

 You turn it on, and turn the dial until you come to a song you know. "I like this one." You hold out your hand Elijah. "Come on. Dance with me. You need to cheer up."

 He hesitates for a quick moment before taking your hand and letting you lead him into a slow dance. The two of you dance together for a few long, silent minutes.

 "Thank you, Y/N," he says.

 "For what?" you ask.

 "For being here, for being my friend. You have no idea how much I have needed someone."

 And then, to your surprise, he leans in and kisses you. You're surprised, but that doesn't mean you don't enjoy it. After all the time he's spent pining over Hayley, you weren't sure if he has ever really noticed you.

 "I'm sorry," he says when the kiss ends. "I shouldn't have done that."

 "Do not be sorry," you say, and you smile. "I have no regrets."

 He smiles back at you. "Then let's dance more, shall we?"