Hayley Marshall #7

You had never expected to fall in love so easily, but there was just something about Hayley.

 You were at Rousseau's one evening, and ended up chatting with the woman sitting at the counter. Family troubles, she said, and she just needed to get away from everything fro a bit. You knew how that felt, to just want to get away from everything until you're ready to go back.

 You end up staying there talking for a long while, until you look at your watch and realize how late it is.

 "I should probably get going," you say.

 "Can I come with you?" she asks. Then she says, "Sorry. That was pretty outright."

 "It's okay," you say. "Um, you can come with me if you want."

 She smiles. "Yeah. I think I'd like to."

~~~~~~

 After that night, you her-Hayley, her name was-spent a lot of time together. Both of you have kept on making excuses to see each other and have extra time together. You enjoy being around her so much that you wonder if you're falling in love with her.

 But there is a problem, which turns out to be a rather large problem. Elijah Mikaelson, the man Hayley has had an on-off relationship with for a long time. You've heard about the Mikaelsons, and you know their history. That's how you know Elijah is a bad choice for Hayley, and you know he's the reason why Hayley is hesitant to have anything serious with you.

 Eventually, you try talking to her about it.

 "There's something we need to talk about," you say to her, "And I think it's important."

 "Okay," she says. "What is it?"

 "It's about Elijah Mikaelson."

 The serene look on her face disappears, and she turns away from you. "I don't want to talk about it."

 "But I think we have to," you say. "Hayley, I like you. I think you're awesome, and I enjoy your company. I know you like me, too. But you're still holding onto him. I don't think we can have anything if you can't decide between us."

 "Please don't make me do this now," she says.

 "But you have to decide, Hayley. It has to be me or him, and you know you can't have both of us. I want to have something serious with you."

 "And do you think I haven't thought about having something serious with you?" She sighs. "Okay. I get it. You or Elijah. You're right about that. Just...give me time, okay? Give me time to think it all through."

 You nod. "Of course."

 She nods back. "Okay. I'm gonna go. See you."

 You watch her go, knowing you did the right thing by asking her to choose, but it hurts you to see her so sad. You know whatever she chooses will be what she believes is right for her, but you really hope it will lead her back to you.