Alaric Saltzman #2

You hadn't planned on falling for the new history teacher, Alaric Saltzman, but somehow it happened. He's such a great person, and really sweet. 

 You haven't told your best friend, Elena Gilbert, about your relationship with Alaric. It hasn't been too long since her Aunt Jenna was killed, and you're not sure what she'll think of the idea of you dating the man who has been looking after her and her brother.

~~~~~~ 

 You and Alaric walk up to the Gilbert house together.

 "I had fun," you say. "I'm glad we got this to hang out together."

 Alaric smiles. "So am I. But, um, I should probably get inside before Elena and Jeremy get suspicious. I don't know if either of them are home."

 "Elena said she would be at the boarding house, and Jeremy's probably with Bonnie." You give him a kiss. "I don't think we have anything to worry about." 

 You both smile, and you kiss again.

 "Y/N?"

 You and Alaric break apart to Elena standing on the sidewalk, not far from you.

 "Elena." You gently pull away from Alaric. "Um, this...we-" You really don't know how to explain this.

 "I, um, I think I'm going to bed," Elena says, moving past you. "I need some sleep."

 "Wait, Elena-" you start to say.

 "We can...talk about this in the morning," Elena says, and goes into the house.

 Alaric sighs. "Well, that could not have been more awkward."

 "I'll talk to her tomorrow," you say. "She might come around. Hopefully."

~~~~~~

 You're waiting outside the Gilbert house the next morning when Elena is leaving for school.

 "Hi, Y/N," she says. "How long have you been waiting?"

 "Not long," you answer. "I just wanted to see you."

 She nods. "Yeah. So...you and Alaric, huh?"

 "Yeah. We haven't been dating long, but I like going out with him. He's fun. I...know it hasn't been long since we lost Jenna, and Alaric is kind of your guardian now, so I wasn't sure what you would think of me going out with Alaric."

 "Well, it does sound kind of weird when you put it that way," Elena says. "I guess it is kind of weird, but I'm not mad at you, if that's what you thought. You're my best friend, Y/N. If you really want to date Alaric, I guess I can live with that."

 You smile, relieved, and pull her into a hug. "Thank you, Elena. I'm glad you understand."

 "I understand what it's like to fall in love with someone," she says, "And for it to feel like they're the one. Maybe Alaric is just the one for you, Y/N. If it is, it'll be nice for think my best friend will have a boyfriend with my approval."

 You smile again. "That does feel good. But how you going to get through your history class today?"

 She shrugs. "Try to act normal, I guess. But I think it'll be a lot weirder having my best friend's boyfriend for a teacher."