Katherine Pierce #2

You instantly know something is wrong when Katherine calls you in a panic. Katherine Pierce never panics about anything, no matter what's going on. She asks if she come see you, so you say yes, wondering what could have happened.

 She shows up at your house during the night, scared and vulnerable in a way you have never seen her look before.

 "What happened?" you ask her as you let her in. "You sounded scared on the phone."

 "I am scared," she snaps. "And do you have any idea how hard it is for me to admit that? I don't get scared of things."

 "Well, something's wrong," you say. "Katherine, what's going on?"

 She holds out her wrist. "Feel that." 

 You press your fingers to her wrist, and feel a pulse.

 "You...you have a pulse," you say.

 She nods. "I know. Elena Gilbert forced the cure down my throat."

 "What cure?" you ask.

 "The cure for vampirism. I am now one hundred percent human." She sits down on the sofa. "I'm vulnerable, Y/N, and you know I have a lot of enemies out there. I'm going to have to spend the rest of this human life running from my enemies. What if I'm never safe? I'm going to grow older and weaker, and I won't be able to defend myself."

 "Hey, I don't think it's going to come to that," you say, sitting down next to her. "Okay. So, you're human now. You have enemies out there who will want to kill you."

 "Saying it out loud is just making it worse," she groans.

 "But maybe I can help you," you say. "I can help you hide."

 "Really? You're going to keep me hidden here for the rest of my life?"

 "It doesn't have to be here. But we'll have to careful, always be one step ahead." 

 She stares at you and shakes her head. "Why? Why would you put yourself at risk like that? For me?" 

 "Because I care about you, Katherine. And I'm apparently the only friend you have. You need someone on your side."

 To your surprise, Katherine hugs you. "Thank you, Y/N. I knew coming to you was the best idea."