The Castle

Summer 1878

 Mikael silently trudged along the path, not quite sure where he was. He knew he was in Transylvania, but seemed to have lost his way. 

What has become of my navigational skills? He thought bitterly to himself. For over a century now, everywhere he went there was no trace of Niklaus, not one. He'd taken to hopping from one place to another, asking everyone and anyone about his childrens' whereabouts. And he'd had no luck.

 Eventually, Mikael saw a great looming figure up ahead. A castle. His spirits suddenly lifted. This looked like the sort of place he would find Niklaus. Perhaps this was it.

 He quietly stepped through the front gate and looked around the courtyard. This castle looked rather deserted. There was probably no one there.

 "Then I suppose no one will mind if I step inside." 

 The inside of the castle was as dreary as the outside. There was no light save a few lit torches along the wall, but the dark didn't bother Mikael.

 Then he realized something. The torches were lit.

 That meant someone lived there.

 "Good evening."

 Mikael quickly turned around. "Who are you?"

 "As you are the guest here in my home, I believe I should ask that question." 

 Mikael could tell this man was a vampire as well. He was taller, with thick black hair, a high forehead, and pair of piercing eyes. He was dressed entirely in black.

 "I am Mikael," he said. "I-"

 "Ah, yes. The vampire who hunts vampires. The Destroyer."

 "Is that what I'm called these days?"

 "Indeed. And I," he bowed, "Am the Count Dracula. You are very welcome here, as the father of all vampires."

 "That is something I regret."

 The Count's smile faltered. "Is it?"

 "Yes. That is why I am the vampire who hunts vampires. But there is one in particular I hunt."

 "You are an intriguing man, Mikael. Do join me in the dining hall. You look weary."

 "That is because everyone here is so damned superstitious," Mikael said as he followed Dracula to the dining hall. "I have not stopped anywhere for long because they're armed to attack, and I do not feel like putting up with it."

 The dining hall was huge. Mikael could not help looking around in slight awe of everything.

 "You are not accustomed to castles, are you?"

 Mikael looked to see the Count already sitting at the head of the table, an amused smile playing across his face as he watched.

 "No, I am not," he replied. "I grew up in a Viking village in Norway. There were no buildings such as this." Mikael took a seat on the Count's right. "Is there always this much food?"

 "When I have guests, yes. Do eat. You look famished."

 And he was. There were times when, while travelling, Mikael would go for quite a while without any nourishment at all.

 "Tell me," Dracula said as Mikael ate, "who is this vampire you hunt?"

 "My stepson, Nikalus. He goes by the name of Klaus Mikaelson."

 "Klaus. Yes, I believe I have heard the name. But that was many years ago. I am afraid I may be of no help of you. Here, try the wine."

 "I have not found him anywhere. He seems to have disappeared off the face off the earth."

 "That may not be the case," said Dracula. "He must have hidden himself very well. But you must be smarter, and find him. Tell me, when the last time you had any blood to drink?"

 "A week, I think. I only drink vampire blood, no human blood." 

 The Count raised his eyebrows. "How strange. Then you must need sleep. Please, there are many empty rooms. You may choose. And perhaps bathe as well."

 "Thank you, sir." Mikael got up from his chair. "I will depart in the morning."

~~~~~~

 Mikael stood in front of the mirror in the bedroom. After being on the road for so long, he would have looked like a ruffian to any nobleman.

 After a long bath, he lay on the bed and stared at the ceiling. It was true that he did not often sleep, even though he knew he had to rest sometimes. Still, he rested as little as possible.

 When he slept, all he saw were nightmares.

~~~~~~

 Mikael woke with a start. It was still dark outside. He could laughing coming from somewhere nearby. It was definitely a woman, and there was more than one. Could this still be a dream? He'd been under the impression that Count Dracula lived alone.

 The laughter and giggling got louder and louder. Just when it seemed to reach his door, it stopped-and he heard the voice of the Count himself in the corridor. Mikael's knowledge of Romanian was very limited, so he understood very little of what Dracula was saying. He caught the words 'father' and 'sleep', so he guessed they were talking about him. He could hear three female voices complaining, but soon the voices faded away.

 The Count entered the room, looking slightly surprised to see Mikael sitting up in bed. 

 "Who were those women?" he asked.

 "Them? Ah. They are vampires as well. Three. You could call them my brides. We do not often get visitors, and it excites them when we do." Dracula approached the bed so that it felt to Mikael as if he were looming over him. "You seem restless, my friend. You need blood. You must drink."

 "I told you I do not drink human blood."

 "That is not what I meant." Dracula pulled up one his sleeves and made a cut with one of his long fingernails. "Drink. It was what you need."

 Mikael stared at the blood that came from the wound. He had been having trouble finding other vampires, and he was hungry. He leaned over and began to drink the Count's blood.

 "Do not deny yourself." Mikael felt Dracula's fingers stroke his hair. "You need it."

 Soon Mikael pulled away and said, "I don't want to drain you. I feel better. Thank you, Count Dracula."

 The Count sat down in the chair by the window. "Now sleep should be easier for you."

 Mikael got back into bed, a little uncomfortable with Dracula watching him. He turned away from the window and tried to sleep, but sleep wouldn't come back.

 "You have nightmares." It was more a statement than a question.

 Mikael sat up again. "I do. That is why I sleep very little. I have nothing good in this world."

 "Do not say so." Dracula was suddenly at his side. "There are many good," he traced one of his fingernails along Mikael's cheek, "and pleasurable things in this world."

 Mikael grasped what the Count meant, and did not stop him when he began to trace his fingers further down.

~~~~~~

 Mikael left Dracula's castle the next day with a note fro the Count.

Should you ever need a friend, come to me. You will not be alone.

 That is why it first startled, then saddened him when, years later, he read a little book by an Irishman named Bram Stoker called Dracula.