He Knows

For centuries, I hunted them down, but had never quite gotten to them. They had always got away. He always got away. It was only Klaus I wanted, not my own children. Just him, who had poisoned them against me. All those years I hunted him, murdering, destroying, and I had nothing to show for it. Absolutely nothing. He feared me, but he had no idea he was making me feel like a fool. 

 Where had he gone? 

~~~~~~

 To my deepest surprise, I awoke one morning and felt something in the pocket of my coat. A little piece of paper. I could not remember putting it there. 

 It had been cut out of a newspaper. I carefully studied the faces in the photograph, stopping on the one I knew all too well. 

 There he was, standing there, smiling as if he didn't have a care in the world. Yes, it was definitely him. 

 New Orleans, Louisiana. I had heard the name before. It was a town in America, on the other side of the Atlantic. In America...the place I had never gone back to. 

 "I have been an absolute fool," I said out loud. 

 Rebekah and Elijah were most likely there with him-they were always at his side. As for Kol and Finn, who knew what he had done with them; I had not seen either in centuries.

 Was there any way I could get through to them now? Not very likely. But I could end him, and then I would have no more use for this world. I could join Esther on the Other Side. True, she had betrayed me once, but she had tried to fix it. And then he killed her, his own mother. Murdered her in cold blood, and then told my children I had done it. 

 I carefully replaced the newspaper clipping back in my pocket. I made sure I had everything I would need, and then I went to find the nearest shipyard. 

 I had an ocean to cross.