Manik's Plan

Manik

So today is holi, finally! My favourite festival and I will make sure that I celebrate it with nandini by hook or by crook. We had planned everything for the holi party and as always it had to be celebrated in space as per the tradition but this this year mom and dad were not there so all the responsibilities were upon me. I had to look after each and everything but that was no big deal for me because me being THE MANIK MALHOTRA could do anything, nothing was impossible for me except my stubborn head best friend Ms. Nandini Murthy. Phew! To convince her was not going to be easy at all but well, I'll do it anyhow.

Nandini

Its holi today. The only festival from which I run away. Vaise toh I love all the festivals but holi...I just hate applying colours on my body. Its not like I am scared of colours, its just that I hate them. The last time I played holi was when I was 10 and that too because of manik and just so that you know, it was a big big disaster for me. The colour was stuck to my skin and it took me complete two days to get rid of it and so this time I am determined to not even step out of my room and that way I won't fall for any of their plans. I locked my room and switched off my phone.

"Now no one will be able to contact Nandini Murthy for holi!" I smiled in satisfaction and sat on my bed crossed leg when Bhai knocked my door.

"Nandu...baby doll? Bahar aa na" he pleaded. "No Bhai...aap mujh par colour laga doge" I reasoned. "Are baba koi tujh par colour nahi lagaega...tu bahar aaja na nandu, hume puja karni hai" he tried to assure me. "Nahi pehle aap mujhe promise karo ki koi bhi colour nahi lagaega then only I'll come out" I remained stubborn. "Acha baba promise. Ab toh bahar aaja" he requested. I could literally imagine Bhai getting frustrated at how childish and stubborn I was being but he would never complain because he was my best Bhai. "Acha ok main change karke aati hu" I yelled back a reply. I heard him sigh and soon the footsteps faded indicating that he went away. I quickly changed myself in a white dress and red dupatta.

Red, Manik's favourite colour
Teased my conscience and I blushed.

I put on my red bangles to match with my dress and did no make up as it wasn't needed and stepped out of my room, not before peeking out to check if there was danger around, I mean colours duh!

Thankgod aiyyappa! Koi nahi hai yaha
I breathed in relief and moved to the small temple in our house.

End of POV

Nandini and Abhi did the puja together and later had the prasad. Soon after nandini bent down to touch Abhi's feet which made him whine like a small child.

Abhi: nandu yaar tu humesha mere pair kyu chuti hai? I am barely an year older than you

Nandini: toh kya hua Bhai? You are still older na and appa ke baad (she choked) appa ke baad aap hi toh hai jisne mujhe humesha ek dad ki tarha sambhala. Ha amms thi but she always remained a motherly figure to me but apne humesha appa ki kami ko pura kiya

She broke down and Abhi took her in a soothing hug, secretly wiping away his own tears that were ready to shed while patting her head like a father.

They used to fight, fool around, tease and do all the crazy stuffs that sibblings do but nonetheless, Abhi had always treated nandini like his own daughter, making sure that she never feels lonely and misses their parents too much. Nandini was really lucky for having found a brother like him. They were majorly attached with each other and shared a really deep and strong bond which no one could fathom or break.

"Oops sorry! I guess...I interrupted you two"
Both of them turned around and found mukti standing at the door, giving an apologetic look.

Nandini: are not at all mukti. You are toh soon going to officially be a part of this family na so not a problem

Nandini teased trying to lighten the atmosphere. Mukti blushed.

Abhi: acha? Nandu ki bachchi ruk tu...tujhe toh abhi batata hu main

Abhi started chasing her all around the house while mukti stood there admiring their bond. She felt lucky at that moment to have such amazing people in her life.

Soon they stopped running and stood right in front of mukti who was laughing at how childish the siblings were. Abhi fake glared at her and she stopped abruptly but after a moment all the three burst out laughing.

Nandini*controlling her laugh*: acha mukti tum yaha aise achanak?

Mukti: ha voh main tum dono ko lene aayi thi...holi party ke liye arrangements karne hai na so...

She trailed off and nandini's eyes widened.

Nandini: uh voh mukti tum...tum na Bhai ko le jao m-main badme aati hu

Mukti: are par kyu?
She asked innocently even though she knew the actual reason.

Abhi: baby doll tum bhi chalo na...you will really have fun. I promise!

He tried to convince her one last time but she did not budge.

Nandini* pushing Abhi towards the door*: Bhai you go...main aa jaungi na

Abhi: ha I know ki tum kab aaogi

He replied sarcastically as he was well known of all her bahanas that come up only on holi but could do nothing because his sister was one stubbornhead who would never give up easily. Having no choice, Abhi and mukti left for college to look after the holi preparations where rest of the group was already waiting.

Malhotra Mansion

"Damn yeh nandu apna phone kyu off karke baithi hai?!" manik let out a frustrated sigh.

Manik had been trying to call up nandini since the past fifteen minutes but all his attempts in vain as she had switched her phone off. He was slightly annoyed at her but then he also knew that nandini was doing all this to save herself from holi and will not give up so easily, come what may and hence he started racking his brain to get an idea that could bring nandini to the holi party easily.

Manik: idea!

He beamed and called kaka who was an elderly servant at his place. Manik had known him all his life as he was the one with whom manik grew up when his parents were away from him. Manik had always respected and loved him like a family member.

Manik: kaka

Kaka: ji baba...kuch kaam tha?

Manik: ji voh main apko ek number deta hu...aap us number par call kijiye aur vohi boliyega jo main apse keh raha hu ok?

Kaka: theek hai...par mujhe bolna kya hai?

Manik*smiling mischievously* : apko bolna hai ki....

(Not so early. You will come to know his idea soon)

Manik: theek hai? Aap samajh gaye na?

Kaka*confused*: par baba yeh sab kyu?

Manik: kaka aap kab, kyu...voh sab chodiye na. Aap bas voh kijiye jo maine kaha

Kaka: acha theek hai

Nandini's place

Nandini was lying on her sofa watching TV when her landline phone rang. She thought for a while thinking whether to pick up or not but finally decided to receive it thinking it maybe something important.

Nandini: hello?

She said over the phone and next what she heard on the other side of the line was enough to dry her blood.

Not proofread. Ignore typos if any.
Happy reading.
Do vote and comment!