Something Strange

It was a fresh day and a fresh start for Nandini as she was practicing with her veena. Panditji had left a few minutes ago since he wanted to discuss a few things with the principal and so Nandini was alone in the music room. She was too engrossed in playing her veena and singing along that she didn't notice when slowly and steadily smoke started filling her room. She realised it once she began to cough and feel a little uneasy. She stood up immediately and tried opening the door but to no avail. Today she was practicing on the 6th floor's music room where usually no one really visited so her pleas to open the door were heard by no one.

On the other side Manik was on his way to Nandini's usual classroom where she always practices to meet her but found the room empty.

Manik: Strange. She is toh very particular about her practice toh how come she is not here?

Frowning, he decided to call her but all his calls went unanswered which got him worried to no extent. He rushed to check all the other places in college where Nandini might be but in vain when he dashed with a peon. He was already worried sick for Nandini and the peon acted like a trigger to his frustration.

Manik*grabbing peon's collar*: what the hell! Aankhe nahi hai kya tumhare pass?

He yelled angrily.

Peon: sorry sir...maaf kar dijiye

He apologized, shivering in fear.

Peon: voh panditji ne kaha tha ki Nandini madam ache se riyaaz kar rahi hai ya nahi voh dekh ke main unhe batau isliye vahi ja raha tha

Nandini's name caught Manik's all attention and he stopped the peon who was about to leave.

Manik: Ruk. Kya bola tumne? Nandini ko check karne ja rahe ho tum?

Peon: ji sir

Manik: kaha?

Peon: ji?

Manik: Kaha hai Nandini?

Peon: Sir voh 6th floor wale music room me

Manik: 6th floor? Par vaha toh koi nahi jaata hai

Manik murmured to himself, confused.

Peon: sir main jau?

Manik: nahi tum rehne do....main Nandini ko dekh lunga aur Panditji ko bhi bata dunga so tum jao

Peon: par sir-

Manik: Maine kaha na jao

Manik yelled again and the peon ran away, nodding at him to save himself from the monster's wrath.

Five minutes later, Manik was on the 6th floor on his way to the music room when he found smoke coming out of the room which was enough to panic him.

Manik: yeh dhua? Shit! Nandini

He immediately ran to the door and started knocking it but got no response.

Manik: Nandini! Nandini tum andar ho? Nandini if you are inside then please answer me dammit! Nandini!

But he got no reply. He was about to knock again when his eyes fell on the latch of the door. The door was locked from outside which only increased Manik's worry and without thinking twice he broke the door and entered inside only to find the entire room covered with heavy smoke as he coughed a little.

Manik: Shit! Nandini! Nandu

He started screaming, trying to search for her in the room and found her laying unconscious in a corner near the door. In a second, he scooped her in his arms and made his way out of the room, patting her cheek simultaneously in order to wake her up.