23. Past, Nightmares, And Terror.

Niall drove to a small park where he pulled into a space and turned off the truck. We sat there for a minute, watching the kids chase each other and play on the slides, reminding me of Louis. 

“Hows this for a little place to talk?” He asked me, I smiled up at him and leaned my head on his shoulder. 

“It's perfect,” I said quietly. Niall sighed and started rubbing my arm, 

“You know, it's hard to believe that almost five days ago I had no clue who you where,” He said, I looked up and into his eyes, studying them. He looked down at me, his eyes searching my face. He leaned in slightly, bringing our faces closer. 

"No, no I can't." I said quickly pulling away. 

“I'm sorry,” He said, looking down at his hands rested on his lap. 

“No,” I whispered, the tears I battled earlier breaking free and rolling down my cheek, “It's not you, it's just...” I started to cry more not really sure how to tell him, but wanting to. I felt Niall put his arms back around me and pull me over until I was sitting in his lap, my head on his shoulder. 

“Shh it's okay,” He said softly, rubbing my back, 

“Niall, I have to tell you...” I paused and more tears fell. 

“Tell me what, Audrey?” 

“This,” I said, my index finger tracing one of the scars on my side. 

“Okay,” He said holding me tighter. I nodded and took a shaky breath, 

“It was almost four years ago." I breathed, trying to control my voice. "And my family and I where going out to eat for my Brothers birthday. Brian couldn't pick a place so Mom had me chose. I remember how embarrassed Brian was when the waitress sang 'Happy Birthday' to him.” I stopped, hoping I was doing the right thing. "After we ate and left the restaurant, Mom wanted to get a picture of everybody because my sister was going to collage the next day. So we asked a man if he could take the picture for us. I remember my sister said she thought he looked kinda weird but she was always the one to judge people before she got to know them. The man took the picture and my Dad went over and got the camera but the man... the man, pulled out a gun and shot my Dad.." I closed my eyes, the images of my Dad falling to the ground, my Mother screaming. Screams from my sister as the man shot her next...

"When I woke up, I was in the hospital. My right side burned with pain and there where IVs and tubes attached to my skin. I remember thinking, 'How in the heck did I get here? Where is Mom and Dad?'" I let out a sigh, "The Nurse told me everything. My Dad and sister had been shot, me and my Mom and brother where stabbed. They kept saying I was lucky because I lived. I guess I you think of it in a sick way I am lucky, I have no family, scars covering my body, and possibilities taken from me. But I'm still lucky." I said, my tone hard.

“I'm so sorry.” Niall said softly, 

"Please don't. I have heard those words so much and they aren't even true. They don't do any good and I'm sick of hearing them." I snapped. I sighed and looked away. "I didnt mean to snap at you."

"It's okay." He said softly. "What where the possibilities that where talking about?" He asked, trying to change the subject.

“I can't have kids.” I mumbled, picking at my jeans, my eyes pricking. Yes, I was only seventeen but I wanted possibilities, to be able to tell my husband one day that we where going to have a baby, to watch his eyes light up and us playfully bicker over names. “I asked the doctor if it was possible way but he said it was a 1 in 1,000 chance I would ever be able to be a Mother." I said, "After I was able to leave the hospital I went to a temporary foster home where I had therapy, learning to walk again and stuff like that. Then Sherry and Joey came to care for me until I was eighteen.” I said, feeling naked as I told him my life. 

“Audrey, do you think that because of this, you cant ever be loved or useful?” He asked softly. I looked up at him and he had tears in his eyes. 

"I am worthless Niall. I'm ugly and fat and stupid. I should have died with the rest of my family and saved the world from my stupidness!" I said, my voice getting louder.

“Audrey, I love you! The boys love you! We think your smart and cute and fun! And your my best friend.” He said, his tone pleading, 

“I love you guys too.” I whispered back closing my eyes, resting my head on his shoulder. It was weird for me, being so close to a person again. Mentally I was kicking myself for telling his everything, but then again I felt a huge relief, like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

I felt him pull away and I opened my eyes to find his face inches from mine. He reached up and kissed my forehead softly, making my stomach erupt in butterflies and a fluffy feeling. 

“We had better get back.” Niall said, I nodded reluctantly and climbed into the passengers. 

“Thank you for listening.” I said, wiping my face with my sleeve. Niall smiled. 

“Anytime you want to talk I'm here for you.” He said sweetly, I blushed and looked down. “Let's go home,”