Chapter 71

It was midnight when Hatori arrived back at the main house. The meeting had been a long and stressful one. His father and uncle had given him what he wanted ̶ more control over the companies' ̶ yet it had come with a catch. Hatori scowled thinking about it. There was always a catch and the more he thought about what those two pulled the more it felt as if he had made a deal with the twin devils of the underworld. Hell I probably would've gotten off lighter if I'd made a deal with the Yakuza.

He loosened his tie as he ascended the main staircase, all he wanted to do was crawl into bed next to the woman he loved. And if he was lucky she would still be awake and he could lose himself in her.

"Excuse me Kanzaki-sama," a meek voice softly called out from behind him.

Hatori turned and smiled at the tiny servant trying to remember her name. She's the one that's quiet as a mouse. . . Hell it's too damn late for this. "What can I do for you?" Hatori said with his all business smile.

"Fairfax-san wanted me to inform you that she is currently at Shigure-sama's house," the mousy servant said looked down at her feet. She bowed then scurried off.

A deep frown cut into Hatori's face. Great. This is all I need. I damn well hope that demon-bitch-girlfriend of his has slinked back to Sapporo like she said she was going to. I am not in the mood to put up with her toxic shit. Hatori never could understand why the hell his cousin was still desperately clinging onto the doomed relationship he had with Kaname. It wasn't as if Shigure wasn't spoiled for choice when it came to women. It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever get trapped in a relationship like that.

Hatori heard his sister and cousin laughing as he approached Shigure's house. When he walked into the living room the two idiots were still drinking and cackling at some stupid joke. Hatori looked around the living room that was cluttered with sake bottles but he didn't see Mimi.

"The prodigal son has finally returned. Come in and have a drink," Shigure said looking at Hatori standing in the doorway. When Hatori didn't sit down Shigure said, "If you're wondering where Mimi is she's right here." Shigure pointed to the other side of the table next to him and started laughing. "We literally drank the poor girl under the table."

Hatori sighed pinching the bridge of his nose. He walked over to the coffee table and shook his head when he saw Mimi laying there on the floor.

"How long has she been passed out?" Hatori asked as sat down next to her. Mimi moaned and rolled over. Hatori couldn't help the chuckle at escaped his lips. "What is up with the cat ears?"

He got his answer in a drunken slur, "I am not passed out I am just taking a little break," Mimi said.

Shigure grinned. "Mimi, you have to speak Japanese you know I don't understand English."

Hatori just shook his head at his evil cousin. Shigure was lying because everything he had just said to Mimi was in perfect English.

Shigure gave Hatori a smirk and said, "What, don't you like the sexy kitty look? I was sure you'd appreciate it."

Mimi sat up; her eyes were glazed over, and replied in Japanese, "I thought I did say everything in Japanese. Now give me another drink. Drink under the damn table, I'll show you who can drink, who under the table.''

Shigure chuckled and replied in English again, "Nope can't understand a single word that just came out of your mouth.''

Mimi rolled her eyes and then lay back down moaning about how the room was spinning and how she wasn't drunk.

"How long have you been messing with her head, Shigure?" Hatori asked in a stern voice.

"Hey don't be like that Ha-chan, I'm only playing. Besides Mimi's had too much to drink and this has been the only way to get her to stop," Shigure said.

Hatori wasn't convinced. Mimi never let herself get blind drunk especially after what happened at the night club. He looked over at Motoko then said, "And you let him do this?"

"Hey don't be so judgy. Gure tried to cut her off when Mimi said the room was spinning and she started to speak half in English half in Japanese. Your girlfriend insisted she wanted more. It wasn't until Gure, started to 'mess with Mimi's head' as you put it that she gave up and lay down."

"Fine, so how was the festival, and how was Kyoko at dinner? I hope she didn't treat Mimi, too bad," Hatori said satisfied with the answer.

Hatori instantly caught the strained look that flashed across Shigure's face before he replied, "The fireworks this year were great. It was a shame you missed it. I decided to take Mimi to a restaurant so I don't know how your mother was."

Hatori could tell Shigure was hiding something but decided not to ask. "Well I should probably take Mimi back to the main house and put her to bed," he said standing up. "I guess I'll see you two sometime in the afternoon when you have crawled out from under the rock you've drunk yourselves in."

Both Motoko and Shigure nodded in agreement and gave him a grin.

"Have fun children," Hatori said as he picked up Mimi and walked out the door. He knew if he wanted to know what happened to make Shigure and Mimi go to a restaurant for dinner; all he had to do was ask the right question when Mimi was drunk and she would sing like a canary.

Hatori set Mimi on her bed when they got back to her room. "Mimi, what happened at dinner today?" Hatori thought he would start off easy and gauge her response.

"Nothing happened, I had a fun time. Why, what did Gure say?" Mimi answered defensively.

There it was. Hatori knew they were hiding something. "Why did you two go to a restaurant, did something happen?"

"Your darling Mother hates me; she really hates me and so does your grandmother. . ." Mimi trailed off and started muttering. "There is nothing I can do about it."

Hatori stopped when he saw Mimi had started to cry and wondered what the hell happened. "Why do you think my mother and grandmother hate you?"

"I don't have to think I know for a fact." Mimi lifted her arm and touched Hatori's nose with her finger. "But it's a secret," Mimi said.

"I promise I won't tell, so you can tell me. You know you can tell me anything. Don't you trust me?" Hatori added the last part for good measure. And it worked Mimi spilled her guts and told Hatori what she and Shigure overheard. Hatori was furious and a part of him wished he hadn't asked.

݊