Chapter 83

After dinner Mimi, made a start on cleaning up the living room. Her belly was full to bursting; giving it a rub she grinned as she looked at her handy work. It'd taken less time than she thought it would to clean up all the broken glass and clear away the rest of the mess.

She bent down picking up and inspected one of the enormous fabric sofa cushions. It was a lovely cornflower blue that was marred by a huge slash across it. Its white fibre guts were poking out of the heavy blue fabric. Mimi sucked in a lungful of air and held it as she dropped the cushion on the floor. Letting it out she gathered up the other five and started arranging them into a makeshift bed as it was the best option for her to sleep on. Knowing she had her work cut out for her on both fronts she was determined to help Shigure in whatever way she could as she finished making her bed.

It was still dark out when Mimi woke up. She walked around the house making a list of things that needed doing and replacing. Nine o'clock rolled around when the army of cleaners, Mimi hired the day before showed up. She explained that they would be cleaning everywhere except the room Shigure was in, and that room would be the last one cleaned.

Knowing Shigure's love of books Mimi made sure that none of his books were thrown out. After his study was cleared out she set up shop there, with his vast collection of books, and started matching the torn out pages to the right books.

Mid-day rolled around in the blink of an eye and most of the house had been cleaned up. When Mimi inspected the work that had been completed she was pleasantly surprised to find one of the upstairs bedrooms had also been finished. When the bed she'd ordered arrived at a quarter past noon she had it put in the finished room and had it made up before she send everyone to lunch. Mimi took that time to go and check on Shigure.

Half the curtains hand been yanked off the railings and a huge shaft of sunlight filled half the musty room. She walked up to the mound of sheets and knelt down. "Gure," she said softly, "you're going to need to move to the bedroom down the hall. It's clean and I even got a new bed for the room. So you don't have to sleep on the floor."

When Shigure didn't move frustration flared, with him, inside of her. She pitched the bridge of her nose and said, "Okay the hard way it is."

Mimi yanked back the covers and was greeted with the strong smell of body odour, which to her surprise wasn't unpleasant, but it was strong. Mimi grabbed his arm and bent down so she could put it around her shoulder. She flexed all of her muscles in her tiny frame as she tried to hoist him up. Shigure wasn't helping in the slightest and it took her three attempts before she finally managed to get him up.

By the time she hulled him to his feet she was breathing hard and a light sheen of sweat had formed on her skin. His unwillingness to cooperate spurred her on as she started to drag him down the hall.

When she got him to the doorway she peeked up at him and saw Shigure crack a smile. This got her back up and Mimi bit out, "I am glad you're finding this so damn funny. You could help you heavy lump."

He laughed. "Oh no, I'm having too much fun." Mimi saw some of his old spark returning and she couldn't help but giggle. As they reached the bathroom Mimi said, "We're taking a detour. You my dear are in dire need of a bath. Now are you going to bathe yourself or am I going to have to do it?" She gave him a look to tell him she wasn't joking.

He regarded her for a moment and seemed to comprehend the look she was levelling at him. "As fun as it would be to make you wash me I will do it myself."

"When you're finished the room at the end of the hallway is clean. I will put some clean clothes on the bed for you. Oh, and lunch will be on the bed side table. I'm going to go out and buy some more things so I'll be gone for a while."

Mimi walked to the door then turned. "The cleaners only have a few more rooms up here to finish; it should only take them a few hours. If you want them to do anything else let them know. Also I told them to leave you alone, so they won't bother you." She flashed him a bright smile and gave him a playful wink before turning and shutting the door behind her.

When Mimi arrived back at Shigure's house the cleaners had all left. She was exhausted and sat in his SUV resting her head against the steering wheel. Closing her eyes she listened to the radio for a bit, replaying her shopping trip in her head.

It had taken Mimi four hours to order all of the furniture that needed to be replaced. She found that the more money she threw out the lower the delivery times went. Most of the things she bought would be delivered within a day or two but a few items were going to take a week. And then there was the matter of getting all of Shigure's books repaired. She'd known it wasn't going to be easy and when she'd carried one of the boxes of destroyed book into the shop the shopkeeper told her it would be easier to buy new ones. However Mimi was insistent that he fix the older hardbacks. He informed her that was going to take months and there was no rushing it.

Her hand clasped around the keys and turned them killing the power to the SUV. Zipping up her jacket she unloaded the car and then ordered dinner.

count:1'j