Chapter 9: The Problem

-David's POV-

After taking the kid to the assembly hall, I decided to talk to the Chief.

I needed to tell him a few things about what happened with the Basilisk. Not that the Child of Zerris killed it, but about why it might've been there.

It's pretty rare for a Basilisk of that level to show up around our village. I'm just lucky it was killed before it could get to our home.

Although, I'm not sure that was the reason why it was there. If that monster was after us, then that thing should've shown up sooner.

While I was thinking this, I finally got to the Chief's place. I went inside and towards his office.

"Hello, David~" It seems that he was expecting me because he was sitting in his chair as if he was waiting for me.

"Hello, Chief." I greeted him.

"Tell me~ Why is it that you came to see me?"

"To give my report about the Basilisk."

"Ah~ I forgot about that. Well, go on then~" The Chief told me.

I then explained to the Chief about what happened with the Basilisk. I lied about me defeating it, but it was all I could do since telling him the truth would cause all of us a lot of trouble.

I still don't trust that kid, but I knew better than to anger him. He was a lot stronger than I was.

Killing that Basilisk proves that. Although he had help, I wouldn't be surprised if he killed it all on his own.

Not only that, but he can use magic and Sword techniques. That technique he used appeared to be Beginners level, but it seems he's been practicing because he practically used that skill perfectly.

If he keeps this up, he'll likely take down an S Ranked monster before he's twenty. Maybe higher if he's stronger than I believe he is.

"David~?" The Chief called my name.

"Ah, sorry about that. I was thinking about something."

"Was it the boy?"

". . . Yes," I hesitantly answered.

I was a little nervous about this conversation. Mainly because the Chief might catch on to the kid.

He may be old, but his senses were sharper than ever. When he feels something's off, he'll know before others do.

"I'm a little curious about that Child. It feels like something's off about him, and I'm not talking about that curse of his. In fact, I'm not even sure he's cursed. Haha~"

Sweat quickly started to pour down my face. The Chief's is going into dangerous territory.

"Hah~ But I'm overthinking things. Just the ramblings of an old man, you know~?"

That didn't really put me at ease, you know?

While the Chief continued to chuckle, I couldn't help but stiffen up from his earlier comment.

"Anyway~ We're really in a bind because of that Basilisk, huh? You usually don't see anything like that unless something major happens."

"Well, you're not wrong. Especially after that strong explosion of power about two days ago."

"Hmm~"

A couple of days ago, there was this strong presence that exploded out of nowhere. This caused a huge uproar because the explosion of energy happened close to us.

When that happened, a bunch of monsters started rushing by the village. This resulted in us improving our defenses.

Then there was that Basilisk. And it wasn't any normal Basilisk.

A regular Basilisk was about five meters long at most, but this one was longer and bigger than that. To make things worse, its abilities were beyond what a normal Basilisk was capable of.

One of them being [Petrification]. This skill was a terrifying ability that can turn anyone to stone.

With a skill like that, there was only one monster that can use such a thing.

It was The Basilisk King. From what I've heard about it, the Basilisk King is around D to C Rank.

There's only been about three to four known Basilisk King in the records, and that was in the span of at least half a thousand years. They may not appear strong, but they can definitely cause some damage.

Knowing that was a Basilisk King got me worried about that explosion of energy. That thing could've been here because it was finding the source of that blast.

This also got me worried about the boy.

It's not a coincidence that a big power of energy exploded and suddenly the Child of Zerris appeared. It has to be related.

Which means that boy might've been the cause of that explosion. I don't have enough evidence to prove my theory, but its pretty much the only explanation that makes sense.

The only thing I'm curious about that boy was his behavior.

First off is he saved my life. Sure, it was so that I would owe him, but when I asked him if he was going to enslave us, he looked at me as if I was crazy.

The other thing was his personality. He may look like the ruthless type, but I didn't really sense that in him.

Was it because I wasn't his enemy? Or maybe he's deceiving us?

I can't make sense of any of it, and it was infuriating. What the hell is that kid?

And don't get me started on his companions. That blue-haired girl was able to resist the Basilisk King's [Petrification] skill.

To my knowledge, that would be impossible without some kind of charm or something, and I didn't sense any magical items on her. That would mean that she was powerful enough to resist such a powerful skill.

Then there's the Shadow Wolf. It was an S ranked monster and that kid's pet.

How did he manage to pull off such a feat? That Child of Zerris was far more dangerous than I first expected.

The problem is that I can't do anything. The boy's far stronger than me, and his two friends were likely just as powerful.

What the hell do I do?

Hah, it looks like all I can do for now is just sit around and keep an eye on the kid. Well, if that's the case, then I have no choice.

To ensure the safety of my home, that boy will be under intense surveillance.

Until I know he's not a threat, I'll be keeping a watchful eye on that boy.

Author's Note:

Happy New years eve!

As of tomorrow, we're going to be starting a new year. Year 2019!

Since today's a special day, I'll be posting two chapters today and on New Years day. So, that's four chapters in two days. 

Let's make 2019 the best year for us! 

See Ya!