Chapter 80: Questioned

Oh, what the hell are they doing here?! I'm getting real sick and tired of this crap!

I went to activate [Intense Blood Lust], but what Zami said next actually surprised me.

"Listen up! None of you are allowed to attack the Child of Zerris!"

Did I just hear that right?

Are . . . They actually protecting me?

What the hell is going on? Is this some kind of trick?

It didn't look like one since the angry mob was just as shocked as we were.

Clare then walked over to Rudeus.

"[Greater Heal]" She chanted.

There was a golden light that enveloped around Rudeus. Once the light faded, Rudeus was fully healed.

As he slowly stood up, he turned to glare at Arri and me.

I knew he was planning to attack us, but before he got the chance, Zami stepped in front of him.

"Don't even think about it."

"Are you even sane, Zami?!" Rudeus exclaimed. "That's the Child of Zerris! He needs to be dealt with."

Keep talking like that, and I'll turn you into dust, I mentally threatened him.

"I have orders from the king, Rudeus. You and I both know that our orders from his majesty are absolute."

So, wait, the king's the one that ordered this? Why the hell would he do something like that after I threatened him from before?

"There's no way that the king would issue such an order!" The thief argued.

"He did," Clare confirmed. "Not just because that boy over there is the Child of Zerris, but he's also Zerris's Champion."

Everyone was shocked to hear this. Their eyes widened as they stared at me in both surprise and fear.

"Z-Zerris's Champion?" Rudeus stuttered.

"Yes," Zami verified. "We've already seen the Champion's power for ourselves. That's why we're saving you the trouble and escorting the Champion out of the city."

Huh? Escorting?

The hell is she on about?

"Have you lost it?!" Rudeus blurted out. "If that brat's Zerris's Champion, then that gives us an even better reason to kill him off!"

You're really itching to get killed, aren't you? As I glared down at Rudeus, Zami continued.

"You really think you have a snowball's chance in hell in killing the Champion? Clare and I have already tried and failed miserably. What makes you think you can do any better."

Rudeus grunted in frustration by Zami's harsh comment. She wasn't wrong, though.

After dealing with them, Zami and Clare walked over to me. Arri then pulled me behind her so she could protect me.

"We're not here to fight, unfortunately," Zami tried to assure us.

What do you mean by, "Unfortunately."

I ignored her last comment and spoke up.

"I thought I told you and your king to leave me alone," I glared at them.

"Yes, and we will do so once we get you out of the city," Clare told us.

"Is . . . This some kind of trick? I'm assuming that there's going to be an army of soldiers waiting outside for us."