Chapter 23: Pests

After interrogating that spy, I got all the information I needed.

Since he had nothing else to tell me, I planned to kill him, but I had a better idea. I decided to tell him to send a message to Thomas.

Obviously, he complied with my demands and bolted as fast as he could. Once he was gone, we slowly walked to Thomas's hideout.

From what that spy told me, Thomas's hideout was somewhere in the forest south from the town. No one's found it because when they do, they don't live long enough to spread the word.

Not only that, but Thomas made damn well sure that no one was going to find his base so easily. It seems he has some kind of barrier that conceals his entire base.

Well, he may be an idiot, but at least he was precautious. I can't wait to see his face when he gets shocked to see me.

. . . Crap, I'm letting that beast toy with me again. I need to keep my cool before I go off the rails again.

Alright, I'm only doing this to deal with that pest, that's all.

. . . Great, now I sound like Amy and Zerris.

Forget it, let's just get this over with.

-Kole's POV-

"He's getting away!"

"I got him!"

"He's heading towards the forest!"

Right now, we were currently pursuing the spy that was following us. We didn't know why he was watching us, but I got a pretty good idea why.

It had to be Thomas. He must've been monitoring that hooded man from before.

And when his spy saw us, he decided to check us out too. We tried to silently get to him, but he managed to catch on and ran for it.

That's why we were currently chasing after him. You know, he was very fast, otherwise, we would've caught up to him by now.

After a couple minutes of chasing, we ran into another problem.

"You gotta be kidding me! His friends are here now?" Jessica exclaimed in anger.

Yep, while we were chasing our spy, he decided to bring some friends over to help him out. Now, we were blocked off by our spy's friends as he ran off.

He probably went to Thomas's base to warn him.

Damn it. If that happens, then we're definitely in trouble.

We need to deal with these guys quickly.

"Guys, get ready to fight!" I told my team.

They then got into formation and prepared for a fight.

There were four enemies in front of us. They all had the same outfits as the other, so it was safe to say that they were definitely Thomas's guys.

One of them had a giant sword, the other was carrying two daggers and kept his face concealed, another one had staff and was preparing a magic spell, and the last guy had a battleaxe.

The guy with the battleaxe was a lot buffer than the others, while the guy with the giant sword was about three quarters his size. The other two were a not as buff, but that didn't mean they weren't dangerous.

Okay, so we have two warrior class fighters, one assassin or thief, and one magic user. With this kind of group, the two warriors will charge at us, while the magic user supports them from afar.

As for the assassin or thief, he'll likely attack our blindspot. For now, we need to get rid of the assassin and magic user.

With those two gone, it'll be easier to deal with the warriors.

Putting my plan into action, I instructed my team what to do.

"Chloe, how are you with your Magic Cancel Skill?" I asked.

"A lot better than before," She told me with confidence.

Chloe has a special skill called [Magic Cancel]. This skill allows her to stop magic spells that were near her.

The only downside of this skill is that it consumes a lot of mana. There's also the fact that she can only use the skill once per day.

Which means she needs to make a direct hit on the magic user, or our trump card's out the window.

The two warriors then charged at us. Since Jessica and I were the heavy hitters, we rushed at them as well.

I took on the guy with the giant sword while Jess fought the guy with the battleaxe. While we were clashing with them, Jack and David were dealing with the assassin and magic user.

The assassin used [Shadow Step] and snuck up behind us. That's when Jack noticed the assassin and fired a magic arrow at him.

The assassin managed to dodge it, but that was when David came in and swung his axe at him. He nicked his arm, but other than that, the assassin was that harmed.

The assassin then jumped away from David and went back to the magic-user. That was when the magic user fired icicles at David and Jack.

So he's an Ice Mage, huh. That'll make things a little difficult.

But, it seems that Chloe was done preparing her special skill. So, while the magic user was busy with David and Jack, she fired her skill at the magic user.

As soon as she did this, the magic user stopped firing icicles with a perplexed look. Jack wasted no time and shot an arrow at him.

He didn't kill him, but he did knock him out. With the magic user out of the way, the assassin was all that was left.

So, he bails! Seriously, the guy just up and left his friends because he knew we were going to get him next.

All that was left was the two warriors. So far, Jess and I were handling them pretty well.

When my enemy kept swinging his sword at me, I just kept parrying and backing away, while also stabbing him from a distance. He dodged a few of my stab attacks, but not a lot.

As for Jess, she was a lot more agile than the battleax guy. So, she took a few swings and moved away.

Her foe was getting irritated, and so he rushed at her and did a heavy swing downward. He even made a huge crack in the pavement when he did this.

But, this was what Jess was waiting for because when the axe was on the ground, she used the butt of her sword and hit the guy's head. He was out cold.

All that was left was my guy. I was about to finish him off with a combo attack until a magic arrow came out of nowhere and hit him in the shoulder.

I looked back at Chloe and Jack to see who fired the shot. Both of them just gave me a smug look.

Don't expect a thank you, understand?

Anyway, with our enemies taken care of, we then walked over to them to get some answers.

This day was already annoying as it was. I just want this quest to be over with and go home. 

Author's Note: 

We're close to the final showdown, people. 

Things are going to get a lot more interesting from here on out. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Let me know in the comments what you think, and I'll see you guys in the next chapters. 

See Ya!