Chapter 126: Change of Heart

Amy continued to stare at where the portal her master opened up to escape.

After it was gone, she neither said or did anything and just gawked blankly where the portal used to be. In those moments, up to the point where Amy's master attacked her without hesitation and fled, she was utterly confused and heartbroken.

Why? What did I do to make him hate me?

This was the only thought that kept going through her mind.

Why did her master attack her? What did she do to deserve so much hate and hostility from the one person she holds very dear?

Damien said that she betrayed him, but Amy would rather bite off her tongue or kill herself before committing such a heinous act. She would do anything for her master, and that was the truth.

Yet those eyes. The only thing that Amy saw in her master's eyes was pain and betrayal.

And it was directed at her. Her master believed that she betrayed him, and those eyes convinced her of that.

But that didn't make any sense. Amy would never betray her master.

Never. Not even in a million years.

She cared about him too much to think of such a thing. Amy cared about her master almost as much as she does for her own mother.

Although, Amy's feelings for Zerris was because of their daughter-mother relationship. Her feelings for Damien ran a different route.

Amy thought of Damien more than just a master that she serves. She saw him as a lover.

For as long as she could remember, Amy never had anyone except Zerris. Her mother was the only thing in her life since being created, so she committed herself to the goddess of darkness.

She never cared about anything or anyone else. She didn't care much about the mortals in the world or the gods that ruled over the world.

She only cared about Zerris. She gave everything she had to please her mother no matter what.

Be it killing anyone that insulted her or assisting her in daily tasks, Amy would do anything for Zerris. It was her only purpose in life.

But, that all changed when she met her new master, Damien Crow.

Amy first spotted the young boy when her mother was watching over him through a glass orb. It seemed that Zerris took a liking to the child because every time she watched Damien, she would smile with glee.

Amy's first impression of Damien was nothing more than disgust and annoyance. The same expression she would show to anyone else that wasn't Zerris.

Worst of all, she felt jealous of the boy. It was because Zerris took a special interest in him instead of her own daughter.

Why is mother looking at some human? What's so special about him?

Amy couldn't wrap her head why her mother was so interested in the boy.

Amy watched a little of Damien's life, and she wasn't really impressed. In fact, she felt pity for him.

Damien's life was full of so much despair that even the Ultimate Magician herself, who was known for being cold and relentless, felt sorry for him.

The boy was beaten by his parents, bullied at school, and treated as an outcast by everyone around him. He had no place in his world.

She's surprised that the boy didn't kill himself yet. Most humans who are isolated from society like he was would end their lives right then and there.