Chapter 108: Grudge Match

Vlad continued dodging Sullivan's attacks.

It was quite difficult since Sullivan was using a spear against him. He had the distance advantage.

Vlad knew this, so he tried to close that gap and attack up close. However, Sullivan knew his strategy and kept his distance while also thrusting at him.

"Don't think I'll let you get to me so easily!" Sullivan stepped back and side to side, continuously attacking Vlad with the spear.

Most of the attacks were blocked by Vlad's blades, but he did get hit in the leg and shoulder. They weren't fatal, and they healed almost instantly.

Good thing for his regeneration ability. Being half-vampire really does have some good use.

Although Vlad could heal his wounds, he couldn't regain his stamina. He was going through both physical and mental fatigue in just keeping his eyes on Sullivan's spear attacks.

If I could only get in close! Vlad tried to come up with an idea, but he was too occupied with dodging to think straight.

As a last-minute attempt, Vlad used [Piercing Darkness] to make Sullivan back away far enough so he wouldn't be able to hit him. Since his weapon was a spear, he could only attack at a certain distance.

Thanks to that, Vlad's idea was either to get too close for the spear to hit him or far enough so the spear couldn't. Once Vlad was far enough away, he summoned a swarm of bats and got them to surround Sullivan.

The bats flew around the warrior, blocking his vision. Sullivan tried to kill them, but as soon as one was killed, another took its place.

There was no end to them. At least until Vlad couldn't summon anymore, which was getting close.

But, with the time he had, Vlad started to think of something to deal with Sullivan. He needed a way to deal with that spear.

He already tried to get close, but Sullivan's defenses wouldn't let him. Vlad then came up with an idea and tried it out.

While Sullivan was distracted fending off against the bats, Vlad tried to steal his weapon away with [Shadow Chains]. When he used the spell, black chains erupted from the ground and latched on to Sullivan's arm.

As the warrior tried to break free from the chain, it got tighter. Sullivan grunted in pain as he continued to attempt to pull free from the shadow chains.

Yet, despite tightening the chains and pulling it harder, Sullivan's grip on the spear didn't loosen.

Just how strong is this guy?

Vlad figured that he wouldn't get anywhere doing this trick, so he tried something else. He then used [Piercing Darkness] to stab his spear hand.

Sullivan howled in pain as he dropped his spear. Vlad took the chance and used his bats to gather up the spear.

Once the bats placed the spear in his hands, Vlad dispersed them and revealed a severely bitten Sullivan.

"Damn you, vampire!" Sullivan swore.

Vlad said nothing as he snapped his spear in half. After tossing it aside, he stared at the wounded warrior.

"So," Vlad began. "You gonna explain to me why you have such a fixation for me? Are you a vampire hunter or something?"

Normally, Vlad wouldn't be getting this much heat from someone unless they were either vampire hunters, or vampires themselves. Vlad knew from the start that Sullivan wasn't a vampire, so his only conclusion was that he was a vampire hunter.