Chapter 64: Preparations Complete

-Watcona Forest-

"Are our soldiers in positions?" Zami asked.

"Yes. We have our recon group watching over the mountain range, assassins and thieves hidden in the trees, and our knights and magicians all circling around the designated area of the forest," Clare informed.

"Good. How about Zemmi and the others?"

"They're in position too. Lura is on sniper duty along with Jack, while the others are going for an offensive position."

"Including Chloe?"

". . . Yes." Clare hesitated for a moment but answered the question.

Clare is very protective of her sister, Chloe. Even though they were born on the same day, Clare acts like the bigger sister to Chloe.

Clare was actually against Chloe joining the fight, but with her Special Skill called [Magic Cancel], it was hard to get her not to join in. Especially after going through all the trouble in keeping her skill a secret so that she wouldn't get used by the military.

She even joined the royal guards to make sure that she could use any means necessary to keep the others from finding out. Luckily, Clare could trust Zami with her sister's secret.

Zami and Clare were close as siblings like her and Chloe. They've been through a lot and trusted each other with their lives.

That's why Clare knows that Zami won't say anything about Chloe's Special Skill. If the military finds out about this, they'll take Chloe away and use her as a weapon.

You see, some special skills are extremely powerful, to the point where a lot of people who have money and power want their hands on it. But, Chloe's Special Skill is one of the strongest.

[Magic Cancel] allows the user to cancel any magic spell that the target conjures. Not only that, but it also makes the target unable to use any magic spell for three minutes.

That might not be enough time for most people, but on a battlefield, that was plenty of time. They could annihilate nearly half of the enemies army with this skill.

Magic was not only used for offensive measures but also defensive. In a battlefield, magicians would put up barriers to block ranged attacks, buff up their allies, or debuff their enemies.

These are used heavily in war and is a big advantage if used right. It'll also be their biggest weakness if they are unable to use it.

Since their so reliable on magic, canceling it would pretty much cripple them. Luckily, Chloe hasn't worked on the skill that much, so she can't do wide range attacks with it.

Right now, Chloe's only able to use the skill on a single person, but if Clare's theory was right, she could use that skill for area effects. With enough training, Chloe could easily cancel the entire enemies magic source and maybe even longer than three minutes.

That's why Clare warned Chloe not to use that skill any more than she needs to. If she doesn't use it so much, she won't catch any unwanted attention.

Still, Clare couldn't shake the uneasiness she was feeling. In a battle like this, if Chloe uses her Special Skill, she'll definitely get someone's attention.

But, in a situation like this with the Champion, she can't really say no. The Champion's a powerful foe and so are his allies.

Chloe might be the only one aside from Zemmi and the other allies that could give us a fighting chance. With her skill, they'll be able to deal with one of the enemies.

But, that didn't stop Clare from getting so nervous.

What if they fail? What if Chloe gets hurt . . . Or worse?

These thoughts continued to swarm Clare's mind. She tried to think of something else but failed.

Zami noticed Clare's unease and tried to comfort her.

"It's alright, Clare. Whatever happens, I'm with you and I'll do everything in my power to keep your sister safe."

". . . Thanks." Clare looked up and Zami and smiled.

While they were talking, Zemmi walked up to them.

"Alright, we're in positions now. All that's left is for the Champion to get here."

"Good. And the Dwarf's tool?"

"Got it right here." Zemmi pulled out dark gray, bulky handcuffs.

The handcuffs were something that Norten made. They were Nullifying Cuffs.

These cuffs were made specifically for the Champion. The cuffs are used to block the Champion's powers.

His strength, speed, magic, and everything else that makes the monster a god. Unfortunately, the cuffs won't last very long.

The cuffs were a legendary item, but considering how powerful the Champion should be, they won't do much. It'll likely only buy them some time to finish off the Champion, but that's if they time it right.

If not, they're dead. They're risking a lot with these cuffs, even more than Chloe's special skill.

If they fail, then they lose everything.

"Alright, get back in position. Once the Champion shows up, then it's showtime," Zami told Zemmi.

"Right on!" Zemmi showed them a fearless smile and rushed back to her spot.

"You ready?" Zami asked Clare.

"Yeah. Let's do this," Clare smiled as well.

They both then went into their positions as well.

It was almost time. Only a few more minutes left until things were set into motion.

Little did they know, it wasn't the Champion they should fear, but something else.

A few hundred meters west from where Zami and the others were, a small army of Orcs was watching them closely. They all glared at them with both malicious intent and hunger.

"What is this?" Korgan asked one of his scouts.

"Sir, it appears to be an army."

"I can see that, fool! What I'm asking is what are they doing here? Did they perhaps spot us?"

"That seems unlikely since they not facing our direction. They seem to be looking for something else?"

"Yes, but what exactly?"

"I don't know."

". . . Keep an eye on them for now. If they come in our direction, we'll dispose of them."

"Understood."

The scout then rushed back to spy on the army of humans. Korgan was left to himself as he thought about what was going on.

If they're not after us then why are they here? Korgan pondered this thought.

"Whatever the case may be, it looks like we're going to have a feast either way." A wicked smile grew on Korgan's face as he watched over the humans.  

Author's Note:

Uh-oh! It seems that Damien isn't actually the real threat . . . Go figure. 

Anyways, the next couple of chapters is going to be really intense because Damien's going to be fighting the world's strongest fighters. But, it'll be worthwhile since Damien is actually going to struggle in the fight. 

And before you ask why, it's because Damien's going to be up against EXPERIENCED people who have lived way longer than him. They know how to deal with an enemy with more power than them. 

Anyways, that's all for now so I'll see you guys in the next Chapter. 

See Ya!