Chapter 109: A Familiar Encounter

Van was all that was left.

As we stared at one another with murderous intent, Van charged at me while blasting fire magic at me. I retaliated by using a Barrier to block the attacks.

I figured that one barrier wouldn't work, so I added two more layers of my barrier. It wasn't a hard process, but it was difficult if done incorrectly.

I'm surprised that I was able to add two layers to my barrier. I could've just increased the strength of my barrier, but that would've taken longer to do, and I didn't have the time.

As the fireballs were blocked by my barrier, I summoned [Light Spears] and tossed them at Van. However, they suddenly turned to stone when Van glared at them.

He can actually petrify my magic? That's a little unfair, don't you think?

Despite his ability to turn my magic attacks to stone, it seems he can't do the same to my barrier. Is there some kind of condition?

Whatever. I should end this fight now while I have a clear shot at winning.

Something tells me things are going to get dicey if I don't end this now. Just as I was about to pull off a spell to finish him off, Van stopped in his tracks.

"As I expected, Champion. You're far too powerful for us."

Something tells me that this little bastard has something up his sleeve. The way he's speaking says it all.

"Since fighting you is pointless, I'll have to resort to something more drastic."

Yeah, I'm gonna end this now while I can. I don't want to deal with this crap anymore.

I was about to use [Shadow Chains] to restrain him, but suddenly, the ground engulfed me.

The hell?!

I didn't waste another second and blew it up. Just as I did, I saw Van pull out what looked like a glowing crystal.

It was about the size of his hand and gave off a purple glow. The hell is that thing?

"Rejoice, Champion, for you are about to witness the power of the Demon King's Familiar."

A Familiar? That crystal?

Wait, I remember something that Amy told me about Familiars. Aside from summoning a Familiar from another dimension, you can also store them in a crystal of sorts.

They're called Familiar Crystals. So that means that thing Van's holding is a Familiar Crystal, huh?

I need to destroy it.

"[Piercing Dar-]"

"Behold! This is the power of the Demon King!" Van boasted.

Suddenly, the crystal started to glow brighter. It was to the point that I was blinded by the purple light.

While I was busy blocking my vision from the light, I heard a huge explosion, and the ground started to shake. When I attempted to see what it was, I was a little shocked to see what I was staring at.

The thing was about three-quarters the size of Terra. It had the combine appearance of a lion and sheep because of its flaming manes and sheepish horns on its head.

Speaking of flaming manes, the rest of its body was covered in a crimson glow, like burning hot coal. Its blazing eyes could practically burn through anything it sees.

Its front legs were massive claws that could cut a thick tree down with ease, and its back legs had hooves that could make craters. Its tail was also something to marvel at because at the tip of the four to five-meter long tail was a flaming ball at the end.