Too Much

Warnings: Cursing, Angst?

———

Bruce's eyes widen at the absolutely lovely ring Tony had cradled in his hand. He looked up at the billionaire with a bright smile.

"She's gonna love it Tony," He admits, which causes Tony to give him a small smile. He quickly pockets the ring nervously. Bruce looks up at his friend to see the worried expression he never expected to see on his face.

"I just don't know how to tell Y/N," Tony inquired.

Bruce gave Tony a soft smile. He was about to say something when Steve and Clint walked in. They were mumbling about something, probably about the recent mission.

"Hey guys," Steve said to the two males. Tony waves at them and pulled the ring out of his pocket again. Steve's eyes bulged and Clint gasped.

"You didn't?!" Steve asked and analyzed the ring.

"I'm gonna, but I don't know how. This is so different from anything I've felt before. Y/N makes me want to be a better man. I don't know how she fell for me but, I just..." Tony trails off as he sees Steve, Bruce, and Clint smiling at him.

"What?" He asks confusingly. His anxiety building up under their stares.

"It seems like you're in love, Stark," Clint says slyly. Tony smiles softly, oh he knew he was in love alright.

He chuckled softly, "I'm gonna do it." Steve patted Tony's back affectionately, and Clint give the shorter man a thumbs up.

Tony eagerly walked out of the lab. A bright smile on his face as he walked into the elevator. He was shaking with excitement. He was ready to commit to you. To finally be with someone he loves forever. The thought of you just made him grin wider.

The elevator finally reached your shared floor and he stepped out. He quietly made his way to your bedroom. He heard you talking inside, in a panic tone. He knocked on the door nervously, the ring stuck out in his pocket.

You opened the door and saw your handsome boyfriend. You bit your lower lip, you wanted to cry, but you had to stay strong.

You forced a smile as he adorably smiled back.

"Y/N, can I talk to you?" He asked as he walked into the room. You nodded and let him in. He sat on the edge of your bed, he seemed to be anxious.

"Ok I'm just gonna say it," Tony said and got down on one knee. Your eyes widen as he did so. Oh god no.

"Y/F/N Y/L/N, I've loved you the moment I've laid eyes on you. Will you do me the honor of being my beloved wife?" He asked, his eyes watering.

This isn't how it was supposed to be. You knew he was watching, you knew what would happen if you didn't succeeded. You looked at Tony's expression. Full of happiness, ready to marry the woman he loves.

Oh this was gonna hurt.

"Tony..." You mumbled and his arms started to shake a bit. The fact you didn't answer immediately, scared him. He got back up and his ears started to go red. He rubbed the back of his neck and looked at you for a reaction.

"It's ok if you don't wanna take a far step into our relationship," Tony said and put the ring on the drawer. His face was going red in embarrassment. Something that rarely happens to Tony. You felt your eyes water.

"Tony...I don't wanna be with you anymore,"

That sentence hit him like a truck.

"Wh-What?" He asked like a kicked puppy. That's when Tony noticed the bags you had in your room. How it suddenly felt...emptier.

His heart beat quicken as he put the pieces together. You didn't want to be seen crying in front of him so you tried to walk away. You made it out of the doorway before Tony grasped your hand.

You whipped your head around to face him. You regretted it instantly.

His face was full of confusion and desperation. His eyes growing red as tears threatened to escape. You felt his hand shake as it gripped yours.

"Y/N..why? Is it something I did? I'm so sorry If I did anything," Tony responded, his voice now as shaky has his hand. His chin quivered a bit, but he fought back the urge to cry.

You hated to see him blame himself. You just wanted to throw your arms around him and tell him it was all a joke. But you had to, or else.

"No..Tony it's not that...,"

"W-well what it it then? Y/N you can't just leave me, please. Have I been in the lab too long? I'll change. I'll do anything," Tony pleaded, the last word coming out in a whisper.

You gulped and Tony's breathing grows ragged from you leaving all of a sudden.

"You're the best thing that's happen to me, Y/N. I love you more than anything, you know that. What is it? Do you not love me anymore?"

You keep back the tears, which was a struggle because Tony was making it too hard. But you had to do it, for him.

You looked Tony in the eye, and separated his hand from yours, "I don't love you Tony."

Tony let the tears finally come down his cheeks. He watched you walked out of his life. He sobbed so hard that Bruce heard and got worried. The scientist went up the elevator. He saw Tony on the floor and his eyes widen.

"Tony are yo-," Before he could finish his sentence the billionaire had wrapped him into a tight hug. Bruce gave into the embrace as the broken man cried into the crook of his neck.

"She left me Bruce. She really left me," He repeated until his sobs blocked out his words. Bruce rubbed his back, then Tony backed away from Bruce.

"Why did she do it Bruce?! Was I that stupid to believe that she'd love me?! That anyone love'd me?! I should've known, but no I had to go and fall in love with her!" He started shouting alerting the other Avengers.

They all assumed it was another rant, until they came up and saw him in his state. They all glanced worriedly at each other

"Tony..." Steve said trying to reach out for him. Tony merely shook his head, more tears coming down his cheeks. He sniffled and looked back up at them. Pain was present across his expression. Nothing like his usual witty self.

"I did this to myself. This is my fault." He muttered and walked back to his room. He locked the door behind him and sat on the edge of his bed. The ring beside him, on top of the dresser now. He had his face in his hands as he cried silently.

Not knowing that you were crying as you walked towards Ultron's base. The machine smirked at your broken state.

"I suspect you did it? Or else, I will kill him myself," Ultron threatened. You nodded and tried to contain yourself.

"Perfect, he's vulnerable. Just as I suspected. And you of course, did it all for him," He victoriously spoke.

"Now, The Avengers have broken members. They won't be able to keep up with me," You wipe away your tears, angry for doing that to Tony.

Ultron turns his attention back to you. "Why? Why do it all for him?"

You looked up at the robot in disgust. Tears still coming down your cheeks.

"Because I love him too much,"