16. blossom trees

this chapter includes anxiety, self-doubt, and mentions of self-harm! read with caution!

y/ns pov

despite me coming third overall in the sports festival, i felt no joy. ever since, the same nightmare kept occurring. i felt sleepless all night. all i did was toss and turn uncomfortably trying to sleep but it was no use. the words that boy said yesterday sticked into my mind the whole night.

i walked into school like i usually do, however today was slightly different. my head was hung low and i didn't dare to make any eye contact. once entering the classroom, i sat down at my desk and placed my head in my hands.

i began remembering my panic attack from last night. i sighed softly.

"today we will be doing some emotional support training." i looked up to see recovery girl standing at the front of the class.

besides aizawa, she was the only one who knew about the episode i had last night.

"we are going to play out different scenarios of anxiety and depression. i will tell a pair to come up and act out a specific situation." she explained still looking at me.

each random pair acted out different situations: one pretending to be the one in need and the other trying to help. just like other training, this training was important as well. who knows if we would encounter people having panic attacks during villain outbreaks?

"l/n and uraraka. please come up here." recovery girl stated. me and uraraka stood up and went to the front. "uraraka, you will be a person who feels the need to self-harm. l/n, you will try and help her." we both nodded and ururaka began acting... badly.

"oh the emotional pain! i just want to hurt myself! please, make the pain disappear!" uraraka acted rather sarcastically as she sat on the floor in a fake sulk.

"uraraka, look at me." i started quietly as i kneeled down to her level. "please don't think that way about yourself."

"but i need to hurt myself..." she replied fake crying.

"take my arm." i whispered. she looked at me slightly confused. i grabbed a pair of scissors from one of the desks and held it out but held a hard grip. "take my arm and hurt me like you would do to yourself."

"b-but i can't do that! i don't want to hurt you!" she replied shocked.

"now you know what it feels like." i replied as i placed the scissors back on the desk and stood up. i hid my hand behind my back and looked at the class.

silence.

everyone began processing what i said, and as soon as they realised they looked at me in shock. a clap was heard, which was then followed by more and more claps.

"that was quite a powerful message, y/n." uraraka said quietly.

"yea! how did you think of that?" kaminari asked.

"experience." i whispered before leaving the room unexpectedly as my eyes began watering, leaving the whole class in shock.

todoroki's pov

we all stared at the door as y/n rushed out.

'what does she mean by 'experience'?'

i gulped nervously and my eyes widened as i processed the whole scenario that just happened before me.

has she experienced that scenario before? no... she wouldn't hurt herself. would she?

without realising, i stood up and walked over to aizawa. i whispered to him to be excused. he looked at me confused but nodded. i ran out of the room and ran around the halls searching for y/n.

'where would she be?'

i suddenly had a thought. i ran to the only remote, private place in the whole school grounds. i ran up the stairs and slowly opened the door to see y/n sitting down on one of the benches with her head in her knees. i gently approached her and sat next to her on the bench.

"shoto?" she whispered softly.

"yea." i replied quietly.

"i-i'm sorry..." her voice cracked as she looked up at me with tears falling her pale cheeks.

"why are you sorry?" i asked softly as i tried to wipe the continuous tears away.

"i don't mean to hurt people and that's exactly what i do..." she whispered as she looked into my eyes.

"no you don't..." i replied quietly, my eyes starting to water slightly.

"look at yourself shoto! i hurt your feelings!" she sobbed, raising her voice slightly. i said nothing and engulfed her into a hug.

"you worried me y/n, not hurt me..." i said into her ear shakily.

"i-i'm sorry..." she whimpered into my shoulder.

"just talk to me someone. don't deal with your feelings alone..." i said as i hugged her tighter.

"i try shoto. i tried and tried but the guilt never away..." she mumbled into my uniform.

"listen to me y/n. it's not your fault okay?" i said as i pulled away slightly and looked into her free eye. "you make me the happiest person alive every time i'm around you so don't ever think you hurt me!"

she looked up at me confused.

"really?" she squeaked.

"you're the only one who actually makes me smile y/n." i said softly as i cupped her cheeks in my hand. "i hate it when your feel down about yourself... you don't deserve it."

she looked at me and smiled a bit as tears still fell.

"you're the most amazing person i've ever met. you're an inspiration to everyone and to me... and you're always here to make me feel happy," i continued as i began my heart beating faster. "and that's why i love you, y/n l/n."

i looked around to see the blossom petals from the trees below began floating upwards and surrounding us. i looked back to y/n who had a shy smile and a blush on her face.

"i love you too, shoto todoroki."

oooooh love is FINALLY confessed!! i've been waiting for this for ages lmao

987 words