18. internships

^^ video is not mine!

chapter inspired by the song hurts like hell by fleurie. i recommend listening to it whilst reading but you don't have to.

y/n's

i sat quietly at my desk and i fiddled with my glove. today was the day that we'll be choosing our internships. my gaze nervously travelled over to aizawa who was reading the results from the sports festival. i bit my lip worriedly.

what if no one wanted me? people think i'm a villain... no one would want me in their internship.

"alright everyone. here are the results from the sports festival. look for your name and choose an internship. i'll leave you all be while i go take a nap. you have the whole lesson." aizawa said blandly as he laid down in his yellow sleeping bag.

everyone stood up and walked to the front of the class to see everyone's results. cursing in my mind, i stood up and joined everyone. i looked at the results and my eyes widened.

'3165? that many people want to work with me?'

"damn y/n! that's a lot of people!" kirishima exclaimed in awe.

"y-yea it is..." i whispered astonished.

"you alright y/n?" uraraka asked. i looked over to her and saw shoto looking at me worried.

"i'm fine." i replied softly as i nodded at both of them. i went to look down at my hands but stopped.

'i can't show him i'm sad again...'

after a few minutes, everyone went back to their seats- well... kinda. many people stood by other's desks as they discussed what internship they should join. shoto sat on my desk as he looked through his internship possibilities. i scanned my list until i stopped. my eyes gazed over the name many times.

"what is it?" shoto asked curiously as he noticed my slightly shocked expression. i lifted the paper and pointed at a familiar name.

"endeavour wants me to take an internship with him." shoto's eyes narrowed.

"don't do it y/n. i don't want him to train you too hard." shoto said sternly as he looked at me seriously.

"he does it to you sho..." i whispered softly. "besides, he might be able to help me get stronger."

"but-"

"look, i don't like your father either... after what he said and what you've told me about him, he would usually be the person i'd least like to train with but i will if it will help me get stronger." i explained softly as i placed my hand on his knee. "besides, you'd be there to help me if need be." i smiled at him softly.

"fine." he sighed. "but if you're going with him, i am too okay?" he looked at me softly.

"okay." i said gently.

[time skip to after class]

me, midoriya, asui, uraraka, and shoto were walking outside as we bumped into some other students.

"oh look, it's class 1-a." a cocky voice said.

"show-offs."

"what's your problem?" i asked sternly, slightly scaring the students.

"oh lookie who we have here." a gruff voice said. "it's the one and only y/n l/n." shinso emerged from the crowd of students.

"aren't they that student that everyone thinks is a villain?"

"oh yea! the hero wannabe!"

"i still don't know how it got in the hero course."

"it's a bit weak don't you think? it used no physical strength at all during the sports festival."

i looked down at my feet. i felt a hand squeeze my arm softly. i looked over slightly to see shoto.

"leave her alone. she's more of a hero than anyone else in his whole damn school." shoto said as he raised his voice slightly.

"it's very disrespectful to call someone 'it'. you should all be ashamed of yourselves." uraraka stated sternly.

"it's fine." i said quietly. i felt everyone's eyes on me. "do you really think i want to be a villain?" i asked shinso as i walked over to him. i lifted my head to reveal my glowing eyes.

"look at you." he spat.

"i don't know what you have against me, but i can ensure you that i do not want to be a villain." i said to him, unfazed by his words. "i've had enough experience to know that villains are horrible people. i know how cruel they are, how scary they are, how traumatising they are."

shinso looked at me, slightly taken aback by my words.

"i've been called a villain all my life. either because of how i look or what my quirk is, and i despise every part of me because of it." i stepped closer to him and stared deeply into his eyes. "so tell me hitoshi shinso, why do you think i'd ever want to become a villain?" he looked at me lost for words. he opened his mouth to speak but said nothing. i sighed and walked back.

"let's go." i said bluntly as i walked away from the students. i felt my face getting hot as my eyes began to water.

"y/n, wait!" i turned around to see my friends running after me.

"are you alright?" asui asked worriedly.

"yea..." i replied softly.

"that was extremely brave of you y/n." uraraka said gently as she hugged me.

"thanks ura..." i hugged her tightly and looked up to see shoto looking at me worriedly. i whispered to uraraka to take the other two away as i broke the hug and walked over to him.

once the others were out of sight, shoto took my hand and walked over to a nearby blossom tree. he sat down and gestured for me to sit in between his legs. i sat down and laid back on his chest as he wrapped his arms around me comfortingly, his chin resting on my shoulder.

"you okay?" he asked quietly.

"never better." my voice cracked as tears fell down my cheeks, a small smile plastered on my face. shoto hugged me tighter. i turned slightly so i was sitting sideways in between his legs. i nuzzled my head into his chest as he stroked my hair gently.

"it's alright." he said calmly. he kissed my forehead softly looked into my teary eyes. "i'm sorry that they're so horrible to you. if we were out of school grounds, i would have frozen them." his tone sounded slightly angered. i giggled softly at him.

"thanks sho..." i whispered.

we sat there silently until i had calmed down. we were now admiring the blossoms above us, waiting for the end of lunch be to ring.

"is it weird that i'm excited for the internships?" i asked quietly.

"a bit, yea." shoto replied. "he better not hurt you in any way." i looked up shoto to see him looking down at me.

"he won't." i ensured. "as long as you're there, i'll be fine." i smiled softly at him.

the bell rang signalling to go back to class. i sighed and stood up, helping shoto up as well. once we reached class, every spoke about their dreams that they had been having. i sat down quietly and closed my eyes, sighing at the thought of going to sleep and seeing that horrible nightmare again.

'endeavour, you better be some help to me.'

shEEsh why do i write a bunch of sad chapters?? sorryyyyy! anyway, next chapter will be the internship experience uwu

1195 words