55. coming to terms

todoroki's pov

"i'm a monster." she sounded so... broken.

i couldn't help but stare. it was the only thing i could do. y/n stood in front of the mirror that sat in front of us. she knew of my presence, she just didn't make eye contact.

"no you're not." for a glimpse of a second, her eyes grazed over mine in the reflection.

she smiled again. "you don't understand shoto." she turned around to me, but looked down. a shadow cast across her face,  blinding me from looking at her directly. "i did it purposely. what kind of hero does that shoto?"

"y/n-"

"WHAT KIND OF HERO!?" i flinched back at her sudden tone. "what kind of hero kills? what kind of person kills!?" she now looked at me dead in the eye. "i killed someone, and this time i knew what i was doing! do you know how that makes me feel!? i'm a monster! a fucking mons-"

"you're not a monster..." her words were stopped in an instant. wrapping my arms around her tightly i couldn't see the tears that were continuously falling, but i could feel them. "you could never be a monster y/n."

she choked back a sob. "b-but i-"

"he was a horrible man. you got permission by a pro hero, eraserhead, and a lot of other pro heroes." i rubbed the back of her head slowly. "you did the right thing."

"how do you know about the pro heroes?" she squeaked.

"my father's the number one hero now. i tend to eavesdrop from time to time." i sighed softly, leaning back so i could cup y/n's cheeks in my hands. "it's alright."

i watched as more tears filled my girlfriend's eyes. at this point i didn't know if they were sad or if they were happy. she just stood there with closed eyes as the tears brushed past my fingers, trailing down her neck. i dropped my hands, holding onto her arms gently.

she whispered something inaudible. "y/n?" she shuddered slightly.

"i'm sorry..." her small voice made my face fall. "i'm sorry. i'm so fucking sorry, shoto. you got hurt because of me and now you're having to deal with a broken girlfriend."

i lifted her chin with my finger. "you are not a broken girlfriend." i said softly. "you have no reason to be sorry okay?"

her eyes shifted from me to something else. i looked behind her at the mirror to see aizawa. "you two are excused to the dorms." he said lowly. he made his way over to us, putting a hand on my shoulder. "y/n, you've done nothing wrong. i will talk to you later, but for now you are both excused from class."

"thanks shouta."

...

i paced back and forth in y/n's room as i waited for her to come out the shower. she had calmed down a bit from before, but i know people asking whats wrong will put her at unease. like me, she'll most likely carry on the guilt of doctor kashikoi also.

i sighed as i ran fingers through my hair. "shoto..." i stopped pacing and looked at the bathroom's doorframe. there, in a large hoodie, stood y/n. "i'm ready now."

her eyes had bags under them and she looked extremely pale. the only colour on her face i could truly see was her red nose and cheeks from the crying from before. she walked over, looking up at me sadly.

i wrapped my arms around her. "i believe what you said earlier." my eyes widened slightly. "but that doesn't change the fact that i killed him."

i felt her wrap her arms around me tighter. "i know that. i know you're scared, and i know that it's really bothering you." she lifted her head to meet my gaze. "but i will always be here for you y/n."