44. the lab

[parts of this chapter might be a bit graphic]

y/n's pov

black.

that's all i could see.

screams. screams everywhere. who's? i'm not sure.

that was until i could see.

my eyes widened as i looked up to see a man in a black cloak. "you're coming with me."

he gripped onto my arm tightly. "no! leave me alone! no!" i screamed and sobbed as i looked at my brother, tears spilling from my eyes. "i don't want to go back there! please!"

"ack!" the boy said as one of the other cloaked men grabbed his shoulder firmly.

"move."

despite our struggling against their grips, we were still lead to outside the room. a man in a white coat emerged from inside with a some sort of head device. "put it on her."

"no! get away from me!" but it was no use. the device was now strapped on my head.

a hand clenched my chin, jolting so i looked into my brother's eyes. two pairs of firm hands latched onto my shoulders but i didn't dare look.

"do it."

a click of a gun averted my gaze to a man who was aiming at the shaking boy that stood in front of me. people around me placed their helmets on and stood in stance.

"n-no!" i stuttered as i reached my hand out.

bang.

my eyes widened as my brother fell limp to the floor. "n-no..." i looked down at him with tears spilling from my eyes. "no!" a shriek escaped my lips as glass began exploding from the windows that surrounded the area. shards darted around frantically, not knowing a certain direction to travel in.

crack.

i jolted up from my sleeping position frantically. my breathing hitched as tears began falling down my cheeks.

"mmh... y/n?" shoto began stirring from beside me, his eyes opening slowly. as soon as he saw my shaking figure, he sat up. "y/n, what's wrong?".

only a whisper left my lips. it was the only thing i could do. "kai..." i broke down even more, falling into shoto's chest as he held me closely.

he began stroking my hair gently. "shh..." he whispered. "it's okay. you're safe with me, alright?"

i wrapped my arms around him as i tried to keep my crying quiet in hope to not wake the others around us. at that moment, i felt confused. i hadn't had that dream in ages. especially since i've been at ua. did the vilain attack trigger it? even so, it's been weeks so why is it happening now?

i shifted uncomfortably as an image of my brother laying in a pool of his own blood. i felt the need to suddenly throw up, and that's what i did.

i hurriedly opened the tent and ran to the near edge of the woods in hope to make as little noise as possible. as soon as i began throwing up, i felt a hand rubbing my back comfortingly. knowing it was shoto, i let my emotions do the work.

after a few moments, the nausea went. "what's wrong, y/n?" he asked as he guided me back to the tent.

"did i wake anyone?" i shuddered as the cold air hit my bare arms.

shoto looked at me and sighed. "no, you didn't. not that i can tell anyway." once we were inside i sat in his sleeping bag, slowly being joined by him. i sat facing him in between his legs, his arms enclosing around me gently. "please tell me what's wrong."

i averted my eyes from his. "it was just a dream." i mumbled.

"that doesn't happen after dreams y/n."

"maybe it does for me."

"why are lying y/n?"

"i'm not!"

"than admit you had a nightmare! i just want to help you."

i sighed as i looked up at him. we weren't fighting, no. only truly concerned about one another. my guess was shoto didn't want to see me hurt... but i didn't want to burden him again.

todoroki's pov.

"fine. i had another nightmare, okay?" y/n said after a pause.

"what was it about?" i asked hesitantly. she averted her gaze yet again. "it's okay if you don't want to tell me now. i want to help you, okay y/n?"

silence.

did i pry too much in personal information? she would usually tell me about her nightmares, mainly because they were the same one, but this one? she's hesitating... is this one different?

she stayed quiet for a few moments. "it was about when i was at the lab." she spoke finally. "it was a memory..."

i could feel my blood run cold. whatever that dream was about, it must have been really bad. she woke up in tears, plus threw up! and it's a memory?!

i hesitated before asking quietly- "what was the memory?" i felt her stiffen into my embrace. "you don't have to say-"

"it was a memory of my brother."

i looked down at her. "i didn't know you had a brother..."

she laughed slightly. "he wasn't my actual brother... but he acted like it when we were in the lab." she sighed. "he was my pair."

i felt lingering anger start to rise in me. "what happened to the lab?" i asked without thinking.

she looked up at me slightly shocked. "i-i don't know..." she said, her head nuzzled into my chest. "after i... was rescued... i'm pretty sure it was shut down for good." i felt worry and curiosity spike as i heard her speak. she then let out a yawn. "can we not talk about this now?"

i snapped out of my daze of thoughts. "y-yea sure." i also yawned as i turned my phone on to see it was almost 3am. "do you want to sleep with me?"

"yes please." she whisper-squealed as i lifted her up and moved her to the side gently. luckily, the sleeping bags were pretty big so we could both fit in comfortably.

she snuggled into my warmth as i wrapped my arms around her. "you're safe now." i kissed her forehead softly.

"thankyou, shoto."

i smiled as i noticed her breathing slow to a more relaxed pace. "no problem, snowflake."

aaaaaAAAH so sorry for the late update :,) i've had writer's block but i'm back in the game now! i wanted to add a bit of y/n's backstory because there will be sOmetHinG creeping up a lil bit later :))

also, thankyou guys so much for 1.5k+ reads! that's insaneeeee!!

1043 words