The one with the thing that happened

Lily's pov

I woke up and looked around confusedly. I was laying in bed in a tank top and shorts I liked to sleep in. I don't remember changing my clothes... who did then? My arms were wrapped around something tender but firm. I felt a wave of relief flood through me when I looked over to my right and saw Cole sleeping peacefully beside me. When had he gotten home?! I was so excited to see him. I turned my face to the side and kissed his arm softly. I was so happy to have him back.

I looked around, remembering I was in bed. I had just woken up... but I hadn't remember falling asleep... I looked around and saw my clock light up the numbers 3:17 am on my nightstand.

I let go of Cole, gently unlocking his grip on my waist as I did so. I sat up in bed and combed my fingers through my hair.

Who changed my clothes? When had I fallen asleep? How did I get home? What was cole doing home a few days earlier than he was supposed to be? Why was my memory so hazy?

Then it all came flooding back.

Unable to have children was all my mind could think, like a broken record on repeat.

My heart wrenched and twisted tightly as my eyes teared. I started sobbing loudly, unable to control the noise leaking from my mouth. As I cried for my now-known inability, my chest felt like a red-hot steel rod was branding it. I gasped between hiccuping sobs as I clutched my chest, bending over and trying to soften my cries.

Cole's pov

I woke up to something loud beside me. I rubbed my eyes before looking over annoyedly at the loud sounds that had awoken me.

All annoyance disappeared from my face when I saw her. She was sitting up, legs criss crossed, leaning forward. Her hand was on her chest as she closed her eyes and let so many tears leak down her cheeks from them. Her hand was clamped over her mouth, trying to muffle the sound of her cries.

"Lily?!" I gasped as I quickly sat up beside her. I put a hand on her shoulder, leaning forward so I could see her.

She hadn't heard me through her loud sobbing. I gently clasped the hand she had over her mouth, trying to pull it free from her face.

"Stop it!" She choked out, fighting my grip.

I snatched her hand off her mouth and she dropped it to hold her stomach as she cried.

"Lily, baby, what's wrong?" I asked quietly as I rubbed a hand on her back, trying to soothe her.

She tried to speak but she was crying so much I couldn't understand her. "I-...c-c-ant... k-kids... e-e-e-everrrrr!" She wailed and that was all I could get before she collapsed against my chest.

She wrapped her arms around my waist, crying hard into my shoulder. I pulled her to sit beside me, wrapping an arm around her waist and holding her to me. Using my empathy, I blew lavender, baby pink, and lime green colored breezes into her mind, calming her down as her tears drenched my shirt.

When she was calm enough I cautiously slipped a hand under her shirt, not knowing if she would object to my touch. She seemed okay with it and I rubbed my hands against the tense knots on the small of her back. As I calmed her down, her loud sobs softened to sniffles.

I pulled my hand away from her back and put a hand on her cheek, holding her face with my palm.

"Lily?" I asked softly, leaning my head lower so I could see her face. She was gripping two fistfuls of my shirt tightly as she spoke. "Yeah?" She sniffed into the crook of my neck, her eyes closed and her body relaxed in my grip.