The one with 20

The next morning
Dylan's pov

The next morning emma and I took a hot shower together before going downstairs for breakfast.

Emma was sitting at the head of the table with me to her right. We were eating pancakes and French toast, coated with a chocolate glaze because we were still kids inside.

I looked at emma as we ate quietly, tired after sleeping less than two hours because we stayed up making out most of the night. She was wearing a not too thick cotton robe since it was cold, still snowing outside. She wasn't wearing any undergarments under her robe since it was just me and her at home, no one else to see her. I was shirtless in a pair of sweatpants I had cut to be shorts. Emma was sitting at the head of the table, her body positioning erect, proper as always.

While we were eating I remembered a story my father told me once when I was younger. When I was maybe 8 or 9 I remember coming downstairs for dinner with Dylan, taking our normal seats on the left hand side of the seat at the head of the table. That night my mom sat down on the right hand side of the seat at the head of the table. When my dad came to the table he was confused as to why my mom wasn't sitting at the head of the table. She was confused as to why he was asking her such a strange question. That was the night I learned something about the seat at the head of the table. My mom told us that in the human world the seat at the head of the table was reserved for the man of the house, the husband. My father laughed at her as she gave him a strange look. He told her that that was ridiculous and when she asked why, he told her the Elven rules for the seating of the table. He said that in the Lost Cities the seat at the head of the table was always reserved for the woman of the house, the wife. My mother was surprised to hear that, intrigued at the strict rule our world had. When she asked my father why this was such an important rule he explained why with a smile. He told her that women are the people who carry their world. He said that women are the true hard workers who run everything we have. He explained that women were the only reason our world could even stay populated because they were the ones to become pregnant with the elves that would keep our world running. My father said that men were in fact the reason women could become pregnant, but without the lady of the house giving birth to their children, there would be no one in this world.

That's why in the elven world more respect goes to women than men. And because of that, there were special rules created to honor the women of the house. One of them was giving them the seat at the head of the table.

From that day forward, my father always made my mom sit at the head of the table.

Then I remembered a story my mother told when Dylan and I were about 15. Our family was sitting at the table with my mother at the head, my father to her right, and Dylan and I to her left as always. Dylan has asked why he and I always had to sit to her left. My mother explained that our father was her right hand because that was her dominant hand. He was one of her first priorities, always with her. She said that my brother and I were her left hand because we were the weaker of the two hands she had. Weaker as in we needed more guidance than her right hand. We were her boys, her absolute first most important responsibilities in life.

Those stories always stuck with me through life, they were clear as the night in my head. Emma always sat at the head of the table because of the story that my father told. Rose sat to Emma's left and me on her right always because of the story my mother told me.

Emma noticed my staring, doing a double take. She let out a sigh when we saw me glance down at her lips.

"We made out a lot last night and you still want a kiss?" She whined, her shoulders slumping.

I laughed at that, leaning in and kissing her forehead as she gave me a small smile. I pulled away smiling as I got up from my chair, taking our dishes with me. Once I was done putting them into the dishwasher I went back to the table, sitting in my seat beside emma. She sat erect in her chair, her posture proper as always. I put my arms on the table, putting my head down with my chin on my elbows as I looked up at her.