4

At first glance, everything looked normal and innocent, but that's the thing about first glances; things very rarely look the same the second time you look at it.

At first glance, it was a normal enough looking summer camp. There was a volleyball court, a huge lake, trees wrapping around the camp, a lot of cabins, kids everywhere.

But after you look back and notice the small details, it doesn't look like a normal camp anymore. A tall fence surrounds us just past the tree line, armed guards looked around suspiciously at any kid that stayed in one place a little too long.

This place was going to be a hellhole, wasn't it?

I scowl at the guards staring at me before Patrick places a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"Come inside, you need to come and meet my wife." He said as he pulled me back slightly until I was following him into a building at the end of the driveway.

It looked just like any other building would if you left it there too long. Light blue paint was slowly peeling off the walls while the shingles on the roof were one big storm away from blowing off into the lake.

The inside didn't look that much better in my opinion.

The walls were painted an ugly bright yellow, the desk in front of the door was made out of old wood that was barely being held together, and there were water-damaged spots all over the celling.

Still, I had to admit, the place looked better than my dad's apartment.

Really old computer sat in front of the woman at the desk, who was clicking away on it before her eyes drifted to us.

"Patrick!" The woman yelled as she launched herself out of the chair that was being held together with duct tape.

She was decently pretty. She dressed like a respectable woman should and didn't wear too much make up like the girls my dad use to bring home when he was drunk.

I watched stone-faced as the woman hugged Patrick tightly before moving away and focusing on me.

"And this is Jax?" She asked with a warm smile.

"Yea, Jax this is my wife Mary, Mary that's Jaxon Young."

My heart raced in my chest yet I kept a face that made it hard to tell what I was feeling as her eyes did a once over my body.

"It's nice to meet you!" She said as she stepped closer, her arms wide open like she expected me to hug her. I simply take a step back as I look at her like she was insane.

Her smile fell from her face as she frowned at me before pulling a tight-lipped smile that I could tell was forced.

"I have one of your room mates on their way to show you around but like always, he's late. I was wondering if maybe you would be okay with getting a quick check up before you joined the other kids?" Her face looked doubtful, as it should. There was no way I was letting someone I didn't know stare at my body and judge it before telling me I was fine.

Just as I was about to open my mouth to say no, Patrick spoke up.

"Of course he wouldn't mind," he said with a kind smile making me glare at him.

"No, I actually would mind. I'm fine." I state rudely with a cold voice that made Patrick do a double take, not use to my cold voice after me being so warm to him before.

"It's for your own safety."

"Well if it's my safety then I'm the one who gets to make the call and my call is no." Mary was about to protest again when the door opened again.