The fair

*Takes place when the boys are about 4*

Donald led the boys into the Calisota Annual Fair. It was their first trip there, and he was quite sure they'd love it.

"Why are we going here, Unca Donald?" Dewey asked.

"It's just something fun to do for the weekend," Donald responded. "You'll love this. I used to go here all the time when we were little."

"Did Mama come here, too?"

"Yeah...but that was a long time ago. I highly doubt she'd remember this place."

"But, you do."

"Well...I have a better memory than her."

"Oh."

Donald led the boys over to a ring toss game. However, something caught Dewey's eye.

Not too far from where he stood was an older duck talking on an old flip phone and eating cotton candy. He wore a top hat and had a cane beside him. The poor old duck looked very tired.

"Hello," Dewey said to the old duck.

The old duck looked at him momentarily, then went back to his call. But his momentary distraction made the caller think he was done talking and hung up. The old duck threw his phone on the ground and started muttering something.

"Boy, don't you have somewhere to be?" he said to Dewey.

"Well, I don't know."

The old duck reached into his pocket and pulled out a 10$ bill. He gave it to Dewey and told him to leave him alone. Dewey complied and walked back to his brothers and Donald, who were still attempting to win the ring toss. They eventually gave up, and Donald noticed Dewey held money.

"Where'd you get that?"

"An old man gave it to me. He told me to take it and leave him alone."

Donald looked around for the old man. He saw no one who matched the old man in his memory from 4 years ago, and he led the boys to the food stands.

"After this, we're heading home," Donald said, eating nachos. "That old duck you saw, Dewey, is a horrible man. He...he's often asked me for favors and never repays me."

"Oh," Dewey said. "But, can't you ask him for anything?"

"No."

They heard a loud belch and looked in the direction the sound came from. Louie had an arm around his stomach and the other covering his beak. His face had a greenish tint to it.

"Oh dear," Donald said, picking him up. "I thought those hot dogs looked odd. I've never had much luck with fair hot dogs, either. Come on, boys, let's head home."

Donald led Huey and Dewey out of the fair. Dewey searched for the old duck as he walked.

He spotted the old duck near the exit, talking on the phone again. He was twiddling with a shiny object on the end of a string as he did.

Dewey noticed, for the first time, an inscription on the phone. It seemed to read Never forget the Spear. It was an odd inscription, but Dewey felt like the message was meant for him.