Stars and sky

"'And she was never heard from again,'" Frida read, closing the storybook. "Okay, boys, you should get to sleep."

"Aw, just read one more story," Dewey said, yawning.

"No, you're tired. Anyway, I need to put something in the nursery before I head to bed."

She left the room and went into the nursery. Her twins, Don and Dana, slept peacefully in their crib. Frida placed a mobile on the crib. She had made it herself with little objects that the twins had been interested in lately.

"Frida, what are you doing?" someone asked.

Frida turned around and saw Donald.

"I'm just putting up this mobile I made," she answered. "Isn't it cute?"

Donald looked at the mobile. Crystal charms dangled over the twins, making soft clinking sounds. One of the charms looked suspiciously like...the Spear of Selene.

You lost her?!

You had the thing built in the first place! Now the boys are orphans, because of you!

Why would she do this?

What am I going to do with her three beautiful children? I'm all alone on this one...

"Donald?" a faded voice asked.

But Donald was far from this world; his head filled with memories from about a decade ago, from being mesmerized by the mobile. He could feel his breathing speeding up, his heart beating faster.

"Donald!"

Pain shot through his face. Frida had slapped him, and it drove him out of his spell.

"Donald, are you okay?" she asked. "Sorry I had to slap you, but you seemed hypnotized by something."

"I'm fine. Just...lost in thought."

Frida frowned and left the room. Donald gently yanked off the mobile's rocket charm and hid it behind the twins' clothes drawer.

He couldn't sleep that night; his memories still floated around in his mind, torturing him...