Mother duck

Della sat up in her bed. Pain shot throughout her entire body, and she felt unreasonably hot.

She climbed out of bed and stumbled to the door. She didn't feel as though she had the strength to walk all the way downstairs to get any medicine.

"Uncle Scrooge," she moaned. "Uncle Scrooge!"

She noticed someone approaching her, but it wasn't Scrooge. Instead, it was Huey.

"What's wrong, Mom?" he asked, rubbing his eyes and yawning.

"I'm sick. Do you think you could..."

She didn't want to finish her sentence; her stomach ached and she was quite sure if she said anything more, she would throw up.

"I'll get something for you, sure. Just go back into your room and rest, Mom."

Huey ran downstairs, but Della stayed where she was, holding a hand over her mouth. When he returned, he took her back into her room and made her lie down.

"I don't really know what to do," he said. "The only medicine we have that's for adults is older than I am. I know Uncle Donald's got some on his boat, but I think it's locked."

"Go wake up someone that can drive and..."

Della held her head over the bed's edge, and breathed heavily. Her stomach pain was still there, and she had made the mistake of talking again.

"Just rest, Mom, I'll get someone."

He left the room, and Dewey and Louie took his place by Della's side.

"We heard everything," Dewey said. "You'll feel better soon, Mom."

"Maybe Frida would be right for this situation."

"She doesn't have her magic until the end of this month, remember?"

"She does potion things. She could--"

"No," Della snapped. "No Frida. I don't like her."

"Why not?"

"You're spending too much time with her."

"That's...kinda true. How about we take care of you, instead of Frida?"

"I would...like that..."

Della started retching and threw up on the floor. The boys backed up a bit.

"Poor Mom," Dewey muttered. "I mean, I know I said we'll take care of her, but I'm not sure how."

"We just wait until Huey comes back with medicine. All we'd have to do is give it to her and get her to rest."

About a half hour later, Huey returned to find his brothers asleep next to the wall opposite the bed and Della coughing into a bucket.

"Take one of these pills with this water, Mom," he said, giving her a bottle of pills and a cup of water.

She did as she was told and laid back down.

"I feel terrible," she moaned. "Why did this have to happen today? We were supposed to go to the Andes later today."

"I know it sucks, but you need rest if you're sick. You'll be better soon enough, I promise."

Della ruffled Huey's hair and fell asleep. Huey joined his brothers on the floor and also fell asleep.

The next day, Della woke up to find a plate of pancakes next to her bed. Beside the plate was a note: 'Feel better, Mom! We love you! From, Huey, Dewey, and Louie.'

God, I'm so lucky to have such caring sons, she thought as she ate her pancakes.