In the dark

"Movie night!" Dewey called out, running into the living room. "Aunt Frida, you coming?"

Frida carried a sleepy Louie into the living room. Dewey already had the movie started up.

"What're we going to watch, Dewey?" she asked.

"'The Horrible Misfortunes at Auburn Peaks,'" he said. "It's some new horror movie."

"Oh, Dew, I don't think I should watch that."

"You'll be fine. You're an adult, you always watch these kinds of things, right?"

"Should you be watching it?"

"I'm fearless. I've come close to death on our adventures, a little movie isn't going to freak me out. I know everything's fake."

The movie went on. Dewey showed no signs of being scared, but Frida was frightened. She did her best not to look at the screen, but she could still hear the screams of the characters being brutally slaughtered. Just the sounds were giving her the shivers that usually came after she watched any movie.

Louie had been jolted awake from the sounds, and he couldn't fall asleep. Occasionally, he looked at the screen and saw either the murderer holding a bloodied weapon or the mutilated body of his latest victim.

When it was over, Frida turned off the TV. She looked over at Dewey, and noticed he had fallen asleep. She suddenly remembered that she still held Louie, and she looked down into his watery eyes.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that," she said. "I'm just as scared as you are."

"I think I hear something," Louie yelped, attempting to hide his face in her short hair.

She hugged Louie tightly, listening closely for any strange noises. She got off the couch, picked up Dewey and walked upstairs. She set Dewey and Louie onto their beds.

"Hey, Frida," Louie said. "Could I sleep in your room, instead?"

Frida smiled a little and carried Louie to her room. She sat on a bean bag chair, and Louie curled up in her lap. Although he was quite twitchy and on edge, Frida managed to use her magic to calm him down, and they fell asleep on the bean bag chair.

*I don't think this came out as well as I hoped.........*