The past is past

Lou sat on her couch, going through her photo album. Many of her pictures were of herself, her husband, or her kids. A few, though, had pictures her dad had kept; ones of adventures he had been on with his brothers.

She sighed heavily. Her kids, Summer and Llewellyn, ran in and noticed her photo album.

"Who's that?" Summer asked, pointing to a picture of Louie with his brothers.

"That's your grandfather and his brothers," Lou explained.

"Granddad looks like me," Llewellyn said.

"Yeah, and I named you after him. Although, he preferred to be called Louie; he didn't really like his name."

"How about those other two?" Summer asked.

"I'm not too sure. Your grandma didn't tell me, because she'd never met them. I guess she was never told about them, or she forgot their names."

Llewellyn flipped the pages of the photo album, looking at the pictures of the grandfather they never knew.

"What happened to him?" he asked.

"He died the year before you were born," Lou said, starting to feel tears welling up in her eyes. "That's when I was told about him. I never even knew he was my dad until after he died. I had only met him 3 times in my entire life."

Llewellyn hugged her, and immediately felt tears fall on his hoodie. He looked up into her eyes and saw that she was crying hard.

"It's okay, Mom," he said, as Summer joined the hug. "It'll be fine, he's in a better place."

The photo album slipped out of Lou's hands and fell to the floor. A CD slid out from in between the back pages. She picked it up and read a note that was attached to it: "Lou, I hope this reaches you. I truly do love you, and just to show you, I made this music collection of songs I think you'd like. Love, your dad."

"I guess he made this for me before he died," Lou said, putting it into a CD player. "He did give me almost everything in his will."

Some very old music began to play. Lou guessed all the music on the CD was from the very early 2000's or the 1990's, making it at most 8 decades old. Old as it was, Lou liked it, but hearing it made her cry even more.

Lou cuddled up with her twins on the couch, and they sat there, listening to the many songs from Louie's childhood years...