Fireworks

Donald woke up in the middle of the night, hearing a noise similar to a gunshot. He frantically ran outside, waiting for the sound again. He heard the sound again, but up in the sky were dazzling lights.

Oh, it's the 4th of July celebration, he thought. What with Della's...disappearance, he had totally forgotten about it.

He went back into the houseboat, and he heard wailing from the triplets' bedroom. He went into the nursery to find Louie crying at the top of his lungs and Huey beginning to whimper. Dewey, however, remained asleep, not even twitching from him.

Donald picked up Louie and Huey, and rocked them. Huey was starting to go back to sleep when another firework popped outside. Louie cried even louder and Huey joined in.

I don't have time for this, Donald thought. He put the ducklings back into their crib and left the room to start up the houseboat.

Donald took the boat out to deeper waters. From their spot, they could still see the colorful fireworks, but there was almost no sound to frighten the triplets.

He went back into the nursery, and Louie and Huey had calmed down a little. They were lying in the crib and they looked up at Donald with big blue watery eyes. Louie held out a tiny little hand, asking to be picked up.

Donald picked up all three of the ducklings and took them outside. He sat on a chair and looked in the direction of Duckburg. The family saw brightly colored lights appear above the coastal city.

"See those, little boys?" Donald said. "Those are fireworks."

Dewey woke up and yawned. He saw the colors in the distance and giggled.

The fireworks began being launched in order to form shapes. The Ducks saw spiraling wheels, boats, and flowers.

Then, Donald noticed some more fireworks, somewhere slightly farther away and toward the side. These fireworks formed a rocket, and three balls of color appeared above them; one red, one blue, and one green. Dewey giggled a bit as the rocket caught his attention.

Donald kept his eyes on that area for a while, but no more fireworks came from that region.

"I think it's time to go to sleep," Donald muttered, taking the boys back inside.

When the triplets had finally fallen back to sleep, Donald picked up his phone. He flipped through his contacts before finding the two marked as "Uncle Scrooge" and "Dumbella."

His first thought to ask Scrooge about the fireworks, but as his finger hovered over his name, he didn't really feel like he should. It was Scrooge's fault that Della was gone. He instead tapped on Della's number, and he heard a sound coming from somewhere else in the houseboat. He put his phone down and followed the sound. He looked under the couch and saw a light emitting from a very dusty spot. He reached for it and brought it out.

It was a very dusty phone. Donald wouldn't have known who's it was, had it not said "Angry Brother is calling you!" on the cracked screen.

Della hadn't even taken her phone with her. Who knew how she was doing out there, in space, all alone...

He tossed Della's phone behind him and sat on the couch. He saw more fireworks go off, and he remembered when he and Della were younger; they would always go to the actual 4th of July celebration with Scrooge, and one time, they lit their own fireworks at the celebration.

He could tell that the 4th of July was going to be one of those days when his memories haunted him...