Chapter 81: Vampire history part 1

The Era of Chaos:

Chapter 1: The mates

-=1.1=-

During a time of war with a rival Clan, an event unsettled the balanced environment in which the two leaders were reigning. A hired killer from the rival Clan tried and failed to murder Solise. After that event it was necessary to guarantee the leaders' protection in the most effective way. A trial was organised with the purpose to find the two strongest and able vampires of the Clan, so that they could be assigned as the leaders' personal guards.

Priestesses, war generals but also normal civilians were allowed to participate. It didn't matter where you stood in the social pyramid, what mattered was that you would be able to protect the leaders and pledge loyalty to them.

After days of fights and evaluations two women were selected as winners: a war general and a priestess, one of the last of her kind. Both women spent the next few days preparing to meet the leaders, they were taught how to talk with them and how to behave with them. When they were ready, they were brought to the palace, where the leaders would choose who they had to protect.

The two women were brought in front of the throne were Solise and Syrak looked down at them, meeting the two women they heard a lot of the last few days for the first time in person.

"You can leave" Solise spoke first, looking at the guards that were standing on the side of the room. When everyone left and the two leaders were left alone with the two women, Syrak stood up, walking towards them, stopping shortly after to look at them.

"You look fragile, to be the ones who are supposed to protect us" he stated, raising an eyebrow.

"I won't speak for her, sir, but observation of physique is not the best way of measuring one's skill" the priestess answered, bowing her head.

"I agree with her, sir" the war general said, bowing her head as well "We fought for days, against vampires bigger than us and we came out as winners"

"So the two winners just happen to both look weak and to be two women?" Syrak questioned. "I suspect cheating"

"How could we cheat, sir? We fought in front of the whole arena. I've been in the Phantom Clan army for years and when I heard that someone tried to murder one of our leaders, I had to step in. I have no other interest in being a personal guard, but to protect you two, sir" the general spoke again, bowing her head.

"You could've poisoned the opponents. Poison is an easy way to win, believe me, I can know" Syrak stated, referring to his own poisonous fangs.

"I don't know how to convince you of the opposite, sir. But if you think we deserve to be tested again, against opponents you choose for us, I'm sure we will both be happy to prove you that we are worthy to protect our leaders" the general said, raising her head.

"Brother! I am sure they have proven themselves fair and square. You should trust our people a little more" Solise interrupted, looking at both women. "Thank you for stepping up and wanting to fight for our protection, we are grateful to see your sense of duty"

Both women bowed deeply towards the throne where Solise was sitting.

"You are doing amazing work in leading this Clan, so it's our duty and honor to protect you with our lives" the priestess spoke, looking at both leaders.

"Exactly, it is your honor but if you fail it will also be your downfall" Syrak stated, walking back to his throne. "You can pick first, my dear sister"