Chapter 44

10 years ago

Yoohyeon was coming back from school, running home. Today her teacher had given her the report card and she was so excited to show it to her parents. She quickly knocked on the door, not wanting to lose time searching for the keys in her backpack. A few seconds later her mother opened the door with a smile.

"Why do you knock like that? Don't you have your keys?" She chuckled, ruffling Yoohyeon's hair.

"I do but... I didn't have the time! I got... my report card! You and dad promised that you would give me a surprise if I got an A" Yoohyeon said excitedly, trying to catch her breath from the long run.

"Did we promise that?" Her mother teased, letting her in and closing the door behind her. Yoohyeon ran to the dining table and emptied her backpack so she could find her report card. "And did you really get an A?"

"A+!" Yoohyeon yelled happily, smacking the report card on the dining table with a huge smile on her face. "And yes, you promised that! And the surprise better be huge because I worked really hard for this!" Yoohyeon said, pouting a little.

Her mother smiled at her and combed her hair carefully, making Yoohyeon lean into the touch.

"We know you worked hard for this, sweetie. Me and your dad saw how much you studied for those tests" Yoohyeon's mother said with a sweet smile before picking up the report card and looking at it.

As her mother looked at the paper, Yoohyeon's father walked downstairs.

"You're being really loud today" her father said, teasing Yoohyeon who walked towards him to give him a hug.

"I got A+ dad! And you promised me that you would give me a surprise!" the girl said with a hopeful smile.

"Wait... A+??" Her dad asked, scratching his chin, pretending to think "No surprise then. I told you I would give you one if you got an A.

.. but you got a A+" He teased with a little smirk.

"Nooo! Come on! Please! I worked so hard for this" Yoohyeon pleaded with a pout as her dad also ruffled her hair.

"I was just teasing you, sweetie. I'm so proud of my smart daughter. Of course you will get your surprise, Yoohyeon" he laughed.

Yoohyeon chuckled and hugged her father tighter

"So, what's the surprise??" she asked excitedly and her mother walked closer to them.

"We thought that lately we've been really busy with work and we didn't have the time to spend a lot of time with you so... we were thinking about making a trip to the lake tomorrow. We can spend the weekend there and if you want Bora can join us" her mother explained with a smile.

Yoohyeon started jumping in the room, giving her mother and father a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Oh my god, yes! Thank you so much! I love you! I'll go send Bora a message right now!" The young girl cheered.

Her parents looked at her with a smile as she ran upstairs to drop her backpack and to send a quick message to Bora, hoping that her friend could go with them.

She sent a text message to her older friend but it took Bora too long to reply, according to Yoohyeon, so she just ended up calling her instead.

The phone rang for a while when finally Bora picked up.

"Hey Yooh! What's up?" The older girl asked, since they literally saw each other on their way home, 5 minutes ago.

"Didn't you read my message?" Yoohyeon asked, excitedly.