52| fend for ourselves

"You're back." Petunia spat disappointedly as we arrived on the door step to the house, after saying our farewells to the order down the street to not draw in suspicion from the Dursley's. "It's not like we wanted to be" I groaned resulting in a slap on the arm by Harry .

"What she means to say is, can we stay for the summer?" She eyed us both down with a grimace but nodded unenthusiastically moving out of sight back to the living room area.

"We'll be homeless if you carry on." Harry said in a authoritative tone, making me giggle at his attempt at seriousness.

We didn't greet Dudley or Vernon but instead walked up to our old room, like always wanting to keep to ourselves. Harry still looked ragged and it made me question why. Sure to other people they wouldn't blink an eye, but I know my twin, he had something to tell me.

"So...spill." I jumped onto my old bed, supporting myself up with my elbows. The room hadn't changed in the slightest, in fact it hadn't looked like anyone had set foot inside of it since our last stay. The crooked chest of drawers by the window still had three missing handles, only now it had a thick layer of dust settling on top. Our sheets hadn't changed either, making me feel rather gross for even laying on them.

"How did you- never mind."

"Why do you look like you haven't slept?" I arched a brow, waving my hand motioning his clothes, hair and odd socks. He nodded inspecting himself only now realising how much of a mess he looked. "It's because I haven't, Hermione and I were talking all night.We have a plan but it includes skipping last year of school..."

"I was missing it anyway, how did you talk to her? What's the plan?" I questioned profusely, unsure of where he was going with this. "Through that spell she knows, you send it and write a response. I don't really know, I hadn't heard of it before." I remembered this exact spell from our girls night, that was so rudely interrupted by the boys. "We have to find the remaining Horcruxes. Dumbledore would have wanted us too." I thought on it but agreed instantly knowing that we had to finish what he had started. It was necessary that we completed the task to make Voldemort mortal.

"Where do we even start?"

"That's the thing Kat we have no clue...we have to go without any contact to anyone, it's the only way to keep ourselves and everyone else safe."

...

It was now two months into the summer when things had gradually started to worsen.

Muggleborns and muggle families were now in the height of danger, being directly targeted by death eaters. Our plan had yet to take action as we couldn't leave the house we once called home. Now it was just a place to stay with a roof over our heads.

I stared deeply down at the car parked outside on the street being packed to the brim with the Dursley family's belongings. They had heard news of the danger they could be in for associating with the Potters, or for just being muggles housing a witch and a wizard. This pushed them to leave for their safety, cowardly leaving Harry and I behind to fend for ourselves.

"They're doing the right thing, we may not like them but it's dangerous." Harry disturbed, snapping me out of my day dream reading my thoughts like a book, "I know." I felt a real bluntness after not being able to celebrate our birthday tomorrow with the ones we love, I had gotten out of the habit of not acknowledging our special day once we met our friends, it now felt like old times. As if it was all irrelevant again. We were used to spending the day actually happy so I couldn't help but feel disappointed.

"Have you gotten anywhere?" I asked him pointing to the multiple articles and notes sprawled out across his bed about the mysterious R.A.B, he shook his head grabbing them all up and shoving them into his backpack aggressively. "Calm down Haz, we will figure it out. We just need Hermione's brain to do so." He chuckled but looked out of place, as if his mind was elsewhere. I clicked my fingers before his eyes to regain his attention and he jolted in surprise.

"Grab your stuff, we can't wait around like this anymore." I gleamed at his suggestion not waiting around for him to change his mind. I shoved the half out clothes fully back into my trunk whilst also grabbing the few belongings littered around the room.

We both did one last inspection of what was currently around the room, leaving things that weren't worth bringing along.

I made my way to the stairs feeling an emptiness at how empty the walls and rooms were now that the Dursley's had left. They hadn't left a thing behind anywhere else in the house, I shouldn't of cared or felt anything for it but it saddened me to see it all so bare.

It broke my heart even more to see Harry stood at the cupboard beneath the stairs, I had never experienced the loneliness of that small slot. Sleeping in there each night, I had always been against it but there was no getting through to Vernon.

I stood quietly for a while almost allowing him to say his goodbyes, as pathetic as that sounds.

"Ready?" I asked in a sort of whisper to not scare him, with him still not knowing I was stood behind him. He cleared his throat, shutting off the light by pulling the string that hung from the low ceiling. "Yeah um-yeah let's go..." he sounded nervous to my surprise rather than anything else, I wasn't sure why but I also wasn't willing to ask. We hadn't been talking like we used to over the past few months as we had both be suffering harshly with visions of Dumbledore's demise, the whole scenario of the astronomy tower attack playing out in our heads whenever our eyes shut.

I was snapped out of my awkwardness with the sudden jolt of the lock on the door, I stepped back to stand side by side with my brother but he didn't seem anxious, not anymore. He took strides forward to reach the front door handle and I allowed him to, his calmness easing my worry.

"'Ello you two!" Hagrid's familiar voice filled the room and I had to contain a squeal at the sight of another person, not Harry or the Dursley's, a different person altogether.

If I was happy before I definitely was when I saw Hermione and Ron emerge from behind the giant, I gasped at the sight rushing into Ron's arms, so fast that he lifted me from the ground.

"Miss me did you?"

"Not necessarily you Ronald, just all mankind." I squeaked out in his tight hold but he released me almost immediately when he saw Hermione's glare to allow her greet me.

I jumped at her just as hard and we slightly bounced on the spot with excitement of being reunited. "I have so much to tell you, but god it can wait I've miss you!" Mione blurted out so quickly it barely sounded English,

"I've missed you too, all of you."

"You've got to of missed me most of all though right?" The cocky voice of Fred came from the doorway, looking incredibly handsome in his new work suit. "It's a possibility..." I mocked launching at him so much that I'm surprised he didn't topple over. His hair had grown, not like how he used to have it but it had grown noticeably since the last time I saw him. I have to say even though he doesn't play Quidditch much anymore, he had definitely gained muscle, even feeling the difference in our hug.

"Where's George? I haven't seen him in too long!" I screeched pushing myself away from Fred to look in his eyes, I was ecstatic that it was all so unexpected, our birthday would be saved I suppose.

"Kathy, were you talking about me?"

"Georgie!" I wrapped my arms around his neck and he did the same on my back, embracing each other after not being able to see each other for months on end. God I think the last time was Christmas, in that case, far too long.