92| war

"Katherine, Ron, take the courtyard." Arthur ordered turning to each of us insight to give us a position, "Harry, Hermione, go to the main stairs."

He had sent off Fred and George in the opposite direction not even giving me enough time to say goodbye. I saw him turn around to face me, a soft grin on his face while holding up the vial next to his face, I knew it was to reassure me. I winked at him before he disappeared, knowing he would follow through with what I asked. Protecting him meant more to me than anything.

"Ron, come on." I wiped at my eyes waving for him to follow me out of the hall. He quickly followed behind at a jogging pace to catch up. Even then, he seemed so unhappy. I automatically assumed it was to do with leaving Hermione.

Since I had returned they had been side by side every second. They were finally showing how they felt and now they were apart. I couldn't let that happen.

"Go." I sighed with a subtle smirk.

"What?" He made a face at me but went red while doing so, "oh, no it's fine, she's fine." He mumbled scratching the back of his neck. I rolled my eyes frowning, he looked head over heels, he had been for as long as I can remember but he's never shown it. Now, he was embracing it. I adored seeing him this way.

"Ron, seriously. Tell Harry to come to me, you can be with Mione." I pushed him towards the entrance again and he only resisted for a second.

He loved her, I wasn't stupid.

I continued outside, walking past groups of fifth years trying to calm each other down. The school was at its worst but somehow it felt like old times. Working together as a school, a family made it feel like home.

I had an uncomfortableness wash over me as the chilling wind from the cold night ran up my arms. I could hear the leaves being blown along the grass, the whomping willow attacking the ground below it. The sky was darkening unnaturally. Despite it all, I was almost certain it was Voldemort's doing. Even looking up at the stars gave me a sense of the dark magic looming all around.

He was close, he could be minutes away, we wouldn't know until he hits us.

"Are you all alone?" I heard someone gasp, their voice familiar, so much so that I instantly felt like I shouldn't be afraid.

"Yes..." I turned feeling instantly awkward, Lavender Brown. She looked different, he hair all cut up to her shoulders, accentuating all her features. If anything she looked mature. I stood silent still in shock at how- hot she looked, it was not what I was expecting.

"It's me- Lavender?" She mumbled trying to break the tension.

"Oh I know, you just look amazing!" I gasped with an exciting attitude to make her more comfortable being around me, after all, we hadn't had the best history.

"Do you want me to stay with you?" She pulled out her wand from her robe pocket already walking closer to me. "I don't want you to fight alone out here." She sighed standing by my side whilst facing the bridge.

"Thank you, Lavender," I whispered as I smiled at her, taking our free hands and entwining them both. The one girl I hadn't gotten on with in the past, was the one who stood beside me in what could have been my final moments. It amazed me how indifferent those of us standing on Hogwarts side were, we all wanted the same thing. Even if we have to let bygones be bygones to do so.

We stood still watching into the distance waiting for a sign, a spell, anything. There was nothing. Not a single movement. I felt Lavender's palm-sweating in mine, the anticipation and unawareness of what tonight might hold scared her, it scared me too. It frightened me more because I knew the outcome, I knew what would happen to me either way.

I didn't tear my eyes away, I didn't dare. I had to be on my guard for anything-

My whole attention was brought to a slight spark on the bridge. The slightest shimmer dying out, followed by a sudden heard of shouts and chants. I could hear the parade of footsteps travelling along the bridge, I automatically released my hand from Lavenders as we both kept our wands ready.

I was prepared, I was sure I was. Although I wasn't sure what was happening I was going to be ready.

The bridge was trembling at all of those sprinting across it and the once small spark shot up into flames, exploding the whole frame with an ear ringing bang. My mouth was open in shock as I heard the screams die out one by one.

We were left with a horrifying silence. The splashing of people and fragments of the bridge hitting the water below was the only sound that could be heard in the distance.

I looked around for anyone, but only Lavender was stood with me, looking identically in shock as I was. I pushed off of my feet, running over to the scene in hopes of finding some form of explanation.

"Ginny?" I sighed grabbing her by the shoulders to inspect her, "Luna!" I moved on to her seeing no visible damage to either of them. I ran my fingers through my hair unsure of what to even say. I jumped when I heard a hand slam on to the wooden slacks that hadn't been demolished. I recognised him instantly.

Always the one not wanting trouble, always the one getting in it anyway.

"Help me, fucking hell!" I screamed whilst trying to pull Neville up from the edge, Seamus and Ginny joined me after a second successfully getting him to safety. He had a smile on his face despite being almost killed, it angered me. "You idiot! What were you thinking, you could have died you know." I snapped causing the smile to drain from his face immediately.

"It worked, I'm fine." He spoke cautiously taking small steps towards me in case I would hit him. I would've but Neville was right. He didn't die, that's the most important thing.

I didn't say much more, instead, I went back into the castle. With the bridge's entrance being severed it meant that no death eaters would get through that side of the castle. The courtyard would be useless to them until breaching the protective barriers completely.

I was running through the halls, uncaring of those I was running by. Harry hadn't shown in the courtyard, Ron wouldn't allow him to leave me alone. Something must've gone on. I didn't have the faintest idea where he was, if Ron had made it to Hermione, Harry must have left. Which only meant one thing in my mind, Harry was taking an important step by himself in order to protect those he loves. It's what he does, knowing I would never allow it but he does it anyway.

"Katherine!" Sirius called out once I turned a corner, he had a single slice along his cheekbone but all in all, looked rather healthy.

"Where's Harry?" I gasped slowing down but not stopping completely.

"Are you okay?"

"Sirius, where is Harry?" I spoke sternly not willing to ask him again. He saw the determination I had and was almost reluctant to let me leave alone once he pointed down the hall. I just nodded in appreciation continuing on in the same direction.

This hallway was relatively empty, no one usually stayed around the room of requirements entrance. Before anyone knew of the secret room, everyone used to class this as the "abandoned hall" people would constantly claim that it was haunted. I wasn't sure why this would bother students as we quite literally ate meals with the ghosts here.

"Harry?" I whispered opening the entrance door. It was packed with piles of treasures. It filled the entirety of the room. "Ha-" I attempted to scream out but a firm hold was muffling all the noise I tried to make, a hand was pressed against my mouth pulling me out of sight.

"Ssh, it me." Someone whispered into my ear as I pulled the arm away, my heart still racing from the sudden shock. I wasn't pleased with my captor in the slightest. He was paranoid, looking around the room incase anyone was close by, not meeting my eyes.

"Now I feel very safe. What do you want Malfoy?" I crossed my arms, my words dripping with sarcasm.

- I'm home so back to normal updates, thank you for being so patient with me. 🤍