48| distance

I couldn't help but wonder, what would come next? For Hogwarts, it's looking pretty bleak. Death eaters taking over the school just sounded horrendous, I'd feel for anyone who was forced to go back. A school life without Dumbledore as the headmaster seemed too strange to visualise.

As much as I wanted to return and finish school, I don't think I could. I couldn't deal with how much of a mess everything in life was at the moment, I think everyone else was in disbelief too.

Could you imagine, the Potters at Hogwarts with the death eaters, they would deliver us on a silver plater to Voldemort himself.

Everything was so quiet and every conversation a sensitive topic, not like how it used to be. Normally going home for the summer had us thrilled making us talk happily among ourselves about our plans for the whole train ride, but this time it was silent. I stared out the window while the others glanced around the compartment awkwardly, this was ongoing for the majority of the ride to London, I don't think anyone knew what to say to each other. It was kept the minimalistic small talk, mainly us wishing each other a good holiday, that was mainly to ease the awkwardness. Not that it worked.

I felt a sense of relief when we arrived at King's cross station, rapidly scanning my eyes across the crowd of families stood waiting for the train to come to a halt. I couldn't see Sirius anywhere just yet but when I did it lifted my mood instantly. He hadn't been able to pick us up or drop us off yet as a free, unwanted man, bar the time he came with us in animagus form. Sirius himself looked overjoyed, he was rubbing his hands together with a large grin spreading from ear to ear. He didn't know I had seen him but I preferred it that way.

Although the fact that I wouldn't be staying at the Burrow made me feel out of place, I felt some distance from our friends after all we had endured was exactly what we needed. As much as I'd love staying with Sirius I had gotten so used to warmth and care of the Burrow that I wasn't used to being without it. I was just ecstatic that Sirius was allowing Fred to stay, I don't think I could cope if he had said no, that alone could make me change my mind and go to the Burrow instead. I also knew that I had to convince Fred that I was okay, I sent him a letter explaining everything that had happened over the past few days, to say he was worried would be an understatement.

I stood up as the train stopped realising I had gotten lost in my thoughts, Ron pulled my luggage from the over head compartment and handed it to me, knowing full well I wasn't tall enough to pull it back down as he had to put it up there in the first place. "Thank you..." I muttered and followed the others out towards the exit.

"Bye Mione, I love you. Write to me..." I gripped her in a hug, she gripped back even harder. I had a feeling she was worried for me, I'm not sure why because although I broke down the other night. Since then I've been fine just pretty distant from everyone. "I love you too." She squeaked out, "don't you dare cry on me Granger, you'll set me off." She nodded into my neck before releasing me, taking in a deep breathe to keep the tears at bay.

"Ronald, I love you, I know you won't write so I won't bother telling you to." He grabbed me into a hug rather than me grabbing him, honestly it made me feel better. As his cuddles always did. "I love you too Kat, and you're right. I won't." I chuckled slapping his shoulder.

"I will see you both soon, I don't think we'll last the whole holiday." They nodded in agreement and said their goodbyes to Harry as I made my way to Sirius. "There she is, long time no see kiddo!" I rolled my eyes dropping my luggage at my feet, running into him like I always seemed to do,

"missed you oldie!"

"Don't you dare make that a thing Katherine" I smiled innocently up at him, I was definitely going to make that a thing, does he even know me? He glared in fake annoyance as if he was reading my thoughts knowing he would not hear the last of the nickname, but I was glad he looked like he was taking care of himself. His beard was clean shaven and he had this healthy look about him that he didn't used to have, I could tell he had changed since he was allowed to do whatever he wanted without the fear of being caught and thrown back into Azkaban. I liked it, he seemed more comfortable in himself.

"Sirius!" Harry called and I moved to the side to allow them a reunion.

-

"What times Freddie boy getting here?" He mocked making kissing noises in my face taking my luggage from my hands, I swatted him away smugly, "he finished work for six so probably about half past." I replied with a shrug of my shoulders walking towards the kitchen.

"Did I get the time wrong, whoops." Fred stood by the table looking at an imaginary watch on his wrist with a cheeky grin, THE cheeky grin plastered on his face. "Oh you little-" I was cut off by being lifted in to the air in his arms. It was different, usually it was me running into his arms but now he was. I liked it, a lot. I always did when he showed his soft side...in public anyway.

"Do you really want to finish that sentence?"

"Bastard. I was going to say bastard. But now I feel like it should be softy, oh you little softy!" He squeezed me tighter making me burst out giggling,

"I missed you dickhead."

"Missed you too bitch" I gasped jokingly pushing him away from me, "Frederick Gideon Weasley!" His eyes widened while he shook his head, squinting his eyes at me as if to say 'how dare you use my full name' I leant into his ear knowing Sirius and Harry were stood in the hallway just behind us. "And to think you were gonna get lucky tonight." I whispered and he looking at me begging with his facial expression and I just shrugged him off teasingly.

~ honestly was too pissed to write last night, expect this excuse a lot during Christmas time, I will still write whenever I can trust me but can't help but drink during the merry season 😉