99| an eye for an eye.

I was alone. Feeling numb but for the first time, I was alone. It wasn't silent though, I could hear the distant crumble of leftover bricks falling. Spells being cast to repair the castle. Fred had gone to check on his family promising to be back as soon as possible. I wanted to go home, this place was now a reminder of trauma. It was my safe place but now I looked at it and felt an ache in my heart for all those who lost their lives. I pushed myself further back on to the window ledge, bringing my knees to my chest as people walked by carrying stretchers. Pale bodies laying upon them, unmoving. It sent chills down my spine.

One caught my eye, her light brown hair draped across her face messily, her hand dangling down to the floor. I squeezed my eyes shut, seeing Lavender alive earlier when she was with me, we worked together made it through. But she left my side some time ago and now she was gone, like so many others.

It was a nightmare, repeating it's not real, you are dreaming in my head as if it would all go away. Mentally I was not okay, nor was I prepared. I wanted Fred before the silence was calming but now it had become deafening. It was making me want to rip my hair out, cause something to happen in order for it to stop. I just knew I had to get out of there.

I pushed myself up, my eyes were wide looking around like I was insane. I didn't know how to handle this. This isn't life, not for anybody. I personally wouldn't wish this on anyone, why us? Why are we the ones that have to go through this?

It was a white noise making my inside feel tense as if I could hurl at any moment.

"YOU KILLED HIM!" Someone screeched in complete pain, a pain that sounded very similar to grief. I didn't have the energy for any more of this. "You spineless coward!" I recognised Bellatrix's voice but I had given up caring. She was completely torn apart by Voldemort's death but she couldn't have expected me to have sympathy. "Lift your wand, I have the decency to do this one on one." She sniffled straining her voice as she spoke. Her legs were shoulder length apart and her back was hunched forward as if she couldn't keep herself upright.

I thought about it, of course, I did but instead, I dropped my wand to the floor. Not giving her the satisfaction of decency, "you've never done a dignified thing in your life, Bellatrix. Why start now?" I let out a soft giggle which really came out as more of a sob, making her chuckle standing up straight. If my whole life was to be like this, I didn't want it. I was a fighter, I don't give up but a slight part of me wanted her to do it. To leave me with nothing, a numbness, emptiness? It means I wouldn't feel, wouldn't it? My eyes were heavy and I simply couldn't be bothered anymore. This war, Hogwarts and family have quite literally drained the life out of me and I didn't see a silver lining. I kicked my wand even further away to prove I wouldn't try anything piquing her interest. I watched her with a blank face, a look of pure blunt stubbornness.

"You took him from me, I took her from you, An eye for an eye." Bellatrix cackled, and I was left with a panic. What could she mean? I was about to bring myself to ask until, blood spilt out of her mouth, making a splash on the tiled floor. She had reached for her throat as she choked on it, her airway blocking as we looked in each others eyes. I, however, didn't feel relief there was a sheer moment of disappointment, maybe even dissatisfaction.

When she fell to her knees, there he was a trembling and completely white Neville. His hands were trembling so much that the blade had fallen to the ground, making a clash as it hit. He was backing away out of complete fear. That showed me how pure he was, he had every right and reason under the sun to have wanted this. But even after claiming justice, I could see the remorse. If he wasn't in shock I was certain he would have tried to save her.

-

The Joke shop's devastation seemed minimal now, we had been stood at the entrance for some time trying to find the courage to enter. George went to the burrow first to help the family but Fred knew I needed some space. He wasn't overly comforting which appreciated and he had patience with what pace we were going at. I nodded subtly and he Pushed open the door whilst I refused to let go of his hand. Ronnie was here, I thought to myself. She would know what to do and how to handle me as she had seen me like this before.

Fred led the way towards the stairs but I halted once more, "can you give us a minute?" I whispered delicately and he squeezed my hand before heading to the storeroom. Ronnie must be terrified of what had happened after she left, I told her I was supposed to die so she wouldn't expect me to walk through the door unscathed. But the stairs creaked echoed. In a way that was unsettling making the hairs on my neck stand up. The burnt-out wood crumbling bit by bit. Tiny shards of glass breaking under the soles of my shoes. But I had already reached the door, a wide-open door? Shoe prints fading out from where people had walked.

"Veronica?" I shuddered the gust of wind blowing through the room, it was a darkness that I felt thick in the air as I wandered in slowly. I hadn't heard a reply and it was making a pit in my stomach expand. when I saw messed up blankets on the floor and a lamp knocked off of the draws I immediately called for Fred, not daring to move another muscle.

His footsteps slammed against the floorboards as he darted to me, feeling unsafe with me up here alone, "What is it?" He pulled me to his side as a safety measure and saw the mess on the floor. This caused him to pull out his wand, limping on his left leg as he walked forward. If Fred was worried then I should be, but I didn't want to know, if there was anymore devastation tonight then I did not want to hear about it. But could I live in the dark? Or did I have to feel the pain, as much as it hurt the pain was necessary. "Oh my god," Fred muttered, which I only heard as a whispered. He shut the door so I couldn't see beyond it but I knew.

My knees had already hit the floor as I sobbed and screamed. He was already at my side letting me clutch on to his shirt as hard as possible.

An eye for an eye.

Ronnie for Voldemort.

A loss for a loss.

I understood it now.

- It's coming to the end of my college year so I have had multiple exams, hence why I haven't updated, Thankyou for your patience loves <3

-