106| state of delirium

Katherine and Ginny were laying on their stomachs in the living room, watching Giddy paw at the cushion he was laying on. Fred and Hermione had left the room as soon as George got there and Katherine had given up trying to figure out what they were up to. She had asked both girls but their answers were extremely similar to Fred's.

"Katherine, dear. Can I speak with you?" Molly asked, her head poking around the doorframe. Kat just nodded, standing up and adjusting her jeans. She followed Molly into the kitchen and they both took seats in her knitting area. She wasn't sure what to expect, did she do something? "Get the worried look off of your face. I have something for you." Katherine only sighed, calming down her paranoia.

"I didn't-"

"I know you didn't want this to be a big deal so I brought you aside." She spoke comfortingly, one hand rubbing her shoulder and the other picking up a box by her feet. Katherine took it, thanking her before even seeing what was inside, she didn't have to. A present, good or bad, showed that they thought of you; that's enough. "Before you open it, I feel I need to explain." Molly gripped her hand to stop her from taking off the top, forcing her to look at her. Molly's eyes were watering and she didn't know how to react to help her. Her mother figure wasn't usually vulnerable, she's the glue that holds the family together; it was unusual to see her in this state.

"Tell me, Molly." Katherine rubbed the back of her hand leaving the box unattended on her lap.

"My mother gave me two things when I married. She told me to give them to my daughter." She sniffed, taking a break. "I gave one to Ginny and this one is for you..." She removed her hand from Kat's picking up the box and placing it in her palm, allowing her to open it now.

She gracefully took the top off of the box, looking down at a pendant necklace. The jewel was a crimson red, reminding her of the bloom of poppy meadows. It was caught in the sunlight making it look somewhat magical.

Katherine was in shock. Something so beautiful in her hands not only that, Molly had referred to her as her daughter.

"Thank you so much, mum." Kat gasped launching at her with it still gripped in between her fingers. After a few seconds, they were both blubbering messes. She had attached the necklace around her neck, making her look expensive and feel special.

Fred had cleared his throat by the fireplace, catching both their attention. He turned, motioning his hand towards the fireplace for her to follow him. Katherine looked at Molly and she waved her off, allowing her to leave even though Fred ruined their moment.

She walked up to her boyfriend, kissing his cheek before they stepped inside. Fred having to crouch massively to fit. "The colour red is hot on you." He smirked as Katherine scoffed, reaching for the Floo powder.

Fred had sent them to the Joke shop, nothing unusual or special was happening in there which confused her. What could this possibly be about?

Fred turned around his brown eyes looking golden in the mid-day light. His hair looking redder too. He was holding a blindfold in his hands with a cocky look on his lips. "No peeking." He demanded as he came up behind her to tie it around her head. Katherine trusted him but also didn't. His immaturity can sometimes put her on edge, he doesn't think things through; trusting him without having a clue what to expect was terrifying.

"Can you see?" He asked waving his hands in front of her cover eyes to be sure. She shook her head and he took her hands, walking backwards, towards the front door. He was being surprisingly careful with her, considering she hadn't walked into something yet.

Katherine felt the sun's heat on her face as they stepped outside into the main street of Diagon Alley. Outside? She thought, what could possibly be out here that she needed to see? They didn't stop moving though, they had stepped into another building a mere few metres away from the shop.