89| fail-safe

Ron and Hermione were leading me down the corridor with little explanation as to why. It was still very empty which told me one thing for certain, the order is still keeping them distracted, giving us more time.

Ron kept his hand on my wrist, dragging me along with him to keep me out of sight if anyone was in the halls.

We were headed to the room of requirements again, either something was wrong or they had made an amazing discovery. I prayed it was the second option, we needed at least one piece of the plan to work in our favour.

We made it without any sign of an issue, it was only the three of us.

"Explain." I pulled my wrist from Ron concerned as to why they had to specifically bring me here to tell me what was going on. My emotion immediately changed when I saw a sense of hopefulness cross both of their faces, "you have an idea?" I gasped waiting for them to go on.

"We do, well Ron does. It's brilliant!" Hermione blushed with excitement but shied away once Ron smiled at her for an uncomfortably long time. "Both you and Harry destroyed a Horcrux with a basilisk fang right?" She turned away from Ron to avoid the distraction and I nodded but lost all enthusiasm once understanding where she was going with it.

"The basilisk is dead, Mione."

She still had her confident smile even when I pointed out her plan wouldn't work, she was up to something.

"We know that." She turned to Ron with a squeal and Ron took over the explanation as it was his idea in the first place.

"The skeleton will still be down there," he grabbed both my hands spinning me around with his new profound energy. "You can't tell me that's not a perfect solution!" He smirked with a cocky attitude but I wasn't going to point out his ego, it was amazing.

"For once Ronald, I have to admit you're a bloody genius." I rolled my eyes but gave him a proud grin with it. He was finally going to get the recognition he deserved, I know it hadn't been easy for him living in the shadow of his siblings or even his friends. He deserved to be the hero and I'd make sure everyone knew he was.

"I have to find Harry, you guys can handle the chamber of secrets?" I asked turning for the door but I felt both of them run after me. I stopped in my tracks with arched brows.

"You are the one that can talk to snakes, how are we supposed to get in?" Ron questioned, widening his eyes at me whilst Hermione agreed with a similar look on her face.

"Just say something random and hope for the best." I shrugged and attempted to walk off again but they stopped me once more, "Harry needs me right now, if you guys figured out how to destroy a Horcrux, you can figure out unlocking the door." I huffed pushing myself by them both, not stopping again. They had each other, I'd feel reassured if I was beside my brother.

The corridors were dead silent. Even as I inched closer to the great hall I didn't hear a single noise, it was off-putting. Something didn't feel right.

"Katherine!" I heard someone call as their trainers squeaked against the floor. It was Neville, alone, coming from the opposite side of the school. His hair was all floppy and one of the cuts on his left cheek had reopened so that blood was dripping down his face. Even with all his injuries, he looked so kind-hearted and soft. "Snape's fled, it won't be long now." He muttered awkwardly as I inched closer to him. He gave me a look as if to say what are you doing? He looked even more terrified when I pulled my wand up to his face.

"Vulnera senateur" I tapped my wand to his face ever so slightly as the wounds closed up and disappeared. He brought a hand up to where they were feeling around for his recent wound, but it was gone. His eyes lit up with surprise as I blew on the tip of my wand like someone would with a gun in a muggle movie.

"If only you'd taught me that spell before you left last year." He chuckled turning around whilst waving for me to follow him back down the hallway.

We were walking along, I felt safe knowing that we still had free time to get what we needed to be done. I came to a halt once Neville had. He looked like he had seen a ghost, his face was paler instantly and his eyes were wide as if he had no clue what to do.

"Katherine, run!" He shouted staying in his place, I was so confused. I hadn't seen anything alarming but Neville had around the corner, what on earth?

"Nev, what the hell are you doing?" I didn't move to leave instead taking his hand attempting to grab his attention, but he was fixated on whatever was there. I sighed walking in front of him to see and my mouth dropped open. I ran. He wouldn't be after Neville, he would be okay. If he had come back it was for me, I had to leave him.

"Locomotor Mortis!" I heard him shout and I was stuck in place. My legs felt quite literally glued to the floor. This was it. "You will not come to harm at my hands, I have to do what Dumbledore asked of me." Snape's blunt voice mumbled releasing the jinx from my body. I had an opportunity to run but something about all of it seemed genuine. He knows the castle is surrounded by those who would help me, Neville could go and warn everyone right now.

"What Dumbledore asked? You mean the man you killed." I took steps back as a pro caution as I still felt on edge while his wand was up. He saw my uneasiness and lowered it to his side.

"It will all make sense to you in time. For now, I need to tell you about the link between the Dark Lord and yourself." He opened a door to the nearest classroom. I looked around for anyone in the halls, as a fail-safe otherwise no one has any idea where I am. But they were empty, I couldn't even see Neville.

The voice in my head was telling me to run for it, I couldn't trust this man, but this could also be the key to Voldemort's demise. I went against all my inner thoughts, knowing that I could regret this later. I was intrigued, no one had answers about what could possibly happen to me if Voldemort's defeated, perhaps this was how I get those answers.

"As you know, you and the Dark Lord are linked to one another, different from how Harry is." He was pacing, he seemed vulnerable when spilling all the secrets he most definitely shouldn't be sharing with me when he is a follower of Voldemort himself. "If he dies, as do you. There is a solution, which is why I need you to tell your friends everything..."

- I struggled with this chapter but I think I finally have a solid idea of what I'm going to do!!!