44| am I the only one with a brain?

"Kat! We need to go to Dumbledore." I spun on my heel midway down the corridor at the sound of my brothers voice calling after me. I arched a brow walking towards him "what about?" He looked around but even though the halls were empty he grabbed my arm dragging me somewhere private to talk.

"You know when I used liquid luck?" I nodded not wanting to interrupt him, "well I got Slughorns memory...I couldn't give it to Dumbledore as he was away on business yesterday, but he's back." My eyes lit up after understanding what he was saying, we had been trying to get close to the man for information for almost a whole year now, but we finally had what Dumbledore needed. "You got it! This is why you're the smarter twin. We can skip potions now!" I grabbed his hand rushing him on his feet, this memory, could be the key to defeating him. This could end it all.

"Jesus, Kat slow down!" It was only then I realised how quick I was moving, perhaps it was the desperation to know the truth Horace vowed never to share, now it was within reach. I couldn't handle the nerves mixed with excitement and Harry caught on to that easily, "don't get your hopes up, it could be irrelevant to defeating him for all we know". I scoffed at him, there's no way Slughorn would attempt to keep it a secret if it wasn't major to his defeat.

"Lemon drop" I spoke from the foot of the large winged gargoyle, it shifted slightly at the sound of the password before shaking out stairs from its side, leading straight up to the Headmasters office. Harry knocked loudly before rubbing his palms together anxiously, "calm it Haz, this is a good thing, remember?" he nodded along with what I was saying. It was true, this could change and prevent anything that could happen in the future. When hearing permission to enter the room, we resisted blurting anything about it until we knew he was by himself.

"Dumbledore, are you alone...or busy?" Harry asked him glancing carefully around the room.

"Yes, yes I'm quite alright" he seemed so cheerful as if he knew what we were going to say before we even came out with it, then again this is Dumbledore. The man is a psychic, that's unproven, but it's definitely my theory.

"We got it Sir..." I spoke up once I could see Harry was stuck, I'm not sure why he was so paranoid but it didn't surprise me, if this isn't what we need then we are back to square one. Then Voldemort himself could start a war, we would be left with no way of killing him. "Ah, you did? That's wonderful. I can imagine your curiosity is killing you." He stood from his chair to seem more welcoming to us being in his office. Before walking towards the well known pensieve, Harry and I following closely behind.

"Now don't be dissatisfied with what you see, it could have a hidden meaning." We both nodded allowing him to move onto pouring the glowing blue mist in the vial into the familiar round bowl. Within seconds we crowded round giving each other a subtle nod of the head to confirm we were ready, we all gasped a breath before smashing our heads in the liquid. Instantly, black smoke formed before our eyes slowly transforming into a room, we all knew it as Slughorns Potions classroom.

A young dark haired boy stood in his place, looking formal- maybe even a little overdressed, I understood instantly that this was indeed Tom Riddle. As well as a rather young looking Horace, still in his suit and tie but wearing a night robe over the top. "I've come across a rare bit of magic over some reading, it's called, as I understand it, a horcrux." Not even I was familiar with the term, but it peaked my interest if it was important to Riddle.

"This is very dark magic, very dark indeed." Horace answered taking a shaky sip from his whiskey glass.

"That is why, I came to you Professor." I could hear the subtle flattery in his words, I couldn't help the look of disgust I held on my face when staring at the boy.

"A horcrux is an object that a person has concealed a part of their soul...you split your soul into an object and hide it, therefore you are protected if something happens to your body" I could see Tom's interest in the information he had gained just by how his eyes widened, he set a trap for Horace and he fell straight into it. "In other words you can not die." I almost gasped but forced myself to be quiet even if they couldn't hear me, he was immortal-