64| paranoia

"Surely we shouldn't be here, they know this is one of the places we would take refuge!" I harshly whispered as we stood at the front of the gloomy house that we once would've called home. The darkness that stood over 12 Grimmauld place was chilling to say the least.

All of us knew we had to get off the streets after the mishap that had occurred in the cafe. I for one knew this wasn't the answer, the death eaters knew of our relation with Sirius, whether or not he was here wouldn't stop them thinking we wouldn't come. "We won't stay long, just until the death eaters look somewhere else..." Ron answered before stepping forward to open the door for us.

I sighed still not trusting the fact that we were here, but eventually joining them inside. "What is it? Is someone here?" I asked paranoid, looking at them staring blankly down the filthy corridor, "no, no we're alone..." they sounded so uncertain so I pushed past them rolling my eyes, muttering "wimps" as I carried on towards the kitchen, I kept my wand by my side for good measure.

"See, now we're certain." I scoffed checking around but still seeing no one, "now what?"

"We should stay the night, we can figure out where to go tomorrow"

"Harry! Absolutely not, this is fucking ridiculous." I snapped glaring at him, although a shower and some rest would be perfect, I certainly wasn't willing to risk it. "Katherine." He gave me a look trying to get me to trust his judgement, but I didn't back down.

...

Well, it's safe to say I backed down, I sat awake by the windowsill refusing myself to sleep while my friends did. I had showered and now felt the need to be wide away incase of intruders. They were spaced out on the sofas as I stared out the window, tears silently streaming down my face at the thought of the situation we were in.

It scared me.

I wasn't housed in Gryffindor like the others, of course I was brave, I was resilient. All in all that didn't change the fact, I was scared for the ones I love, not myself. Hermione and Ron aren't the targets yet we dragged them into this, even if they were willing. It didn't seem fair to me, to them. It was my conscious that worried, if something happened to them for helping me, I don't know what I'd do.

Not only that but I feared for those at the wedding, we hadn't spoke much on it, I assumed that was to avoid jumping to conclusions. Or adding to the worry we already had.

Freddie's last glance was all I could visualise, he accepted everything we had argued about those last few weeks, allowing me to do what he had been so frightened of.

I stood up, shaking myself off to keep my awake, pacing around the room unsure of what to do with myself now. I knew one thing I couldn't allow myself to fall asleep.

"Kat?" Someone groaned from behind me, I instantly shot around and pointed my wand in the direction of the voice, "woah, calm down...why aren't you sleeping?" Ron yawned, but was now wide awake from the shock of a wand pointed directly at him, a mere second after opening his eyes.

"I-I'm sorry, I'm just paranoid honestly."

"It's fine, don't worry about it. You haven't slept yet have you?" He stood up stretching out before bringing me into a hug, "you're shaking; what's wrong?" I could feel I was shaking but it wasn't natural, it felt like I wasn't in control.

"I'll tell you what, you sleep, I'll keep watch." He shot me a tired smile but I nodded taking his spot on the couch. I felt strained, like I was putting all of my energy into something, almost as if my energy was being drained.

...

I could see him, he was grinning wickedly staring me down.

It almost felt like I should scream in his presence but I couldn't get a word out, he showed off his teeth, reminding me very much of all the death eaters smiles. All rotten and just adding to the evil I saw in them.

"At last, we can work together. I have waited for this opportunity Katherine Potter." He hissed and I could feel the terror I had felt just from him speaking my name. "You're arm." He held out his hand, expectantly waiting for me to place it in his palm, I didn't move.

"NOW!" He screeched and I almost jumped back, making him chuckle. I felt around for my wand but it was no where.

"You can't hurt me, even if you tried. We are connected, not how Harry and I are. Our connection keeps us linked, you see. We are the same you and I..." he kept the same grin plastered on his face, I couldn't stand it; or understand how I had gotten in this situation.

"I am nothing like you, nor is Harry." I spat making him chuckle even more,

"maybe not, but all I know is if I die, you're dying with me." He revelled in my fear, it made him feel successful but I couldn't hide it, not even if I tried.

-

"Merlin! Wake up!" I shot my eyes open, grateful it was all a dream but even more frightened to see all three of them towering over me worried.

"Fuck, the visions are back." I sat up facing Harry but he looked utterly confused. "I didn't have a vision..."

"We always have visions together, or none at all." I gave him a stare but I could see he was being honest. "We can only have visions together because we both have connection to him, maybe it was just a dream-" he spoke softly sitting beside me.

"No...no this was a vision, I'm sure of it. He said- we are connected, different to how you two are."

"What the bloody hell is that supposed to mean?" Ron chimed in and I smiled at his confused face, his nose scrunched up and his outburst was just plain funny.

"He said, if he is to die, I will die too." They didn't have much of a reaction, no one could really piece it together. "It would be great to have the orders input right now." I sighed standing up, folding up the blankets we all slept with. "We can figure out what he meant another time, for now, we need to go." They nodded changing into a new set of clothes.

~~~

I went into Sirius' old room, it still looked the same, just untouched yet more cluttered.

I opened his chest, rummaging through finding old t shirts that I could take.

Smiling profusely at a picture he had on his bedside of the foursome from his days at Hogwarts. They looked so loyal and engulfed with happiness when in each other's presence.

It didn't surprise me that he hadn't scratched or cut out Peter Pettigrew's face as he always told me, he hated who he became. He still liked to remember him how he was when they were in school together, they were friends. I understood that, with everything that was going on with Ronnie. Yes, I knew the truth but I would always try and help her, even if she was pushed into doing the wrong thing I would remember her for who she was before her family forced her into it.

"Katherine! We've found something!" Ron shouted, snapping me out of my gaze. I made my way to the stairs but not before grabbing the photograph to take with me. It had my dad, Remus and Sirius in it, it was something I would like to look at for comfort. Not only that but I could look at Peter and remember the hatred, it would help I know that for sure.

"What is it?" I asked arching a brow as the three of them stood before a bedroom door. I stared awkwardly when not getting a reply still just as confused. Ron first lifted a finger to the name on the door and I inched closer to read it. "Regulus Arcturus Black..." I muttered but didn't understand the importance.

"R.A.B" Ron spoke back to my confusion and my eyes widened at the realisation. "You don't think-"