54| protectors

As I stepped onto the concrete outside the front door, I stepped to the side allowing others to leave after me, I stood still for a moment taking in the subtle summer wind in the dead of night. I felt it brush across my face and for a second or two I felt my worries wash away, it's what I needed. "You okay Kat?" George asked joining me by my side, "yes, kind of- I'm worried." He nodded in agreement and I leant my head on his shoulder which I could now reach now that he was Harry's height. Staring up at the sky which was riddled with stars, flickering ever so slightly.

"You're my best friend George, be careful yeah?" I asked looking up at him. "You're my best friend too Kat, I'm more worried for you." I smiled sweetly appreciating this moment we had after not being able to have a full conversation for the longest time.

"Don't tell me you're switching twins now!" Fred joked wiping a nonexistent tear from his eye, I giggled girlishly taking in how Fred sounded with Harry's face. "This is weird, I can't even give you a be safe kiss Freddie." I grimaced at the thought but I stopped when I could still see his cheeky grin even when in Harry form.

"I mean you could"

"You're disgusting, practically kissing my twin. Would you like to kiss George?" He disgustedly shook his head, as did George in sync, "there we go then."

"Get moving you lot!" Moody half whispered from his place on the road and we quickly rushed to join the group, not wanting to face the wrath of him.

"Katherine, here's a broom. Stay close to the both of us." Remus spoke rubbing my shoulder comfortingly, I nodded taking a deep breath before mounting my broom, fidgeting about until I had a comfortable and firm grip on the handle.

"1...2...3...break!" Alastor's harshness in his voice sent shivers down my spine, but when hearing the permission to move I didn't hesitate. I kicked myself of the ground, knowing that as I wasn't a confident flyer I wouldn't be able to take off without the boost.

I was thankful that all us girls decided to tie our hair back in identical ponytails to keep the wind from affecting our vision, I made sure to glance to my left and right every few seconds to confirm Remus and Tonks were beside me, losing them would send me into a panic.

It didn't take long for me to see that the once clear and noticeably cloudless sky began to thicken, flashes of white light occurring from behind a group of clouds filling the darkness. This was unnatural, that's all I knew for sure. The visible changes in weather happening seconds after we took to the sky, was far too much of a coincidence. I kept aware of my surroundings, keeping close by to my protectors as well as keeping my eyes peeled for danger coming from every which way in my view, barring what could occur from behind.

I watched as Moody passed by my eyes at a increasingly fast speed urging Remus and Tonks to do the same, me following their movements immediately. I felt a wave of anxiety pass through my body as we inched closer and closer to the bright light continuously flashing, I felt the urge to be sick knowing that the others had passed through before us. Having a seriously bad feeling about what was going to happen.

"Katherine, KEEP UP!" Remus shouted turning around slightly to make his voice clear through the thunder roaring in the sky, it was only then I had realised my pace had slowed down in the nerves of it all. I squeezed my eyes shut, pushing the dark and depressing thoughts to the back of my mind. Pushing my broom forward bringing my speed back up to match the others.

I squeezed my eyes even harder when coming to the cloud, when instantly passing through it felt too windy to breathe. It felt as if there was no oxygen at the altitude, my throat hitched and felt icy cold, dry but cold.

I forced my eyes open, feeling a struggle to see with the breeze that was occurring but forcing myself to look at what was happening right now.

They knew.