98| capability

"Did it work?" I begged Ron to answer me, as he slowly pulled me outside the classroom. Neville and Hermione following closely behind. He had a look of determination on his face, he was getting arrogant. Personally I wouldn't call it a victory until I saw with my own eyes Voldemort's dead body.

"We won't know until we see." Ron grinned, getting over excited at the thought of winning. Hermione clearly was thinking the same as I was, as she was shaking her head with uncertainty. Neville was quivering still, he wasn't used to standing up for himself that he wasn't sure what to do next. I however was doubtful. Voldemort, dead? Just like that? I know my death was meant to signify that but even with the stabbing, it felt all too easy.

I watched as we tumble over the rubble. Watching our steps as dust filled the air. It was very quiet, I couldn't see anyone in the hall. It was unnerving.

I knew the others didn't know anything, they all had identical confused expressions on their faces. Their eyes squinted as they attempted to make their way through.

All our heads shot in the same direction at the sound of someone screaming no. It pushed us all to dart in that direction, straining our ankles as the rocks made the ground uneven. I was heading for the hall but Mione quickly pulled me towards the courtyard, following the others.

It was crowded out there. Masses of people covering the grounds. I couldn't see what they were all staring at, but I had already started to push my way through. I heard gasps directed at me as I pushed everyone aside to get a view. I had a horrible feeling. A feeling that everyone else knew apart from myself.

I watched as Arthur held Ginny back, she sobbed on and on, I didn't have to see much from then.

I made it to the front, drawing in everyone's attention. Including Voldemort himself. He was well, grinning from ear to ear. Surrounded by death eaters. I scanned my eyes across the lot of them. Watching intently as their smiles only increased.

My eyes fell on Hagrid. Looking beaten and bloody, two large chains cuffed to his wrists. For someone so large I didn't think I'd ever see him so vulnerable and defeated. In his arms was-

"no." I sighed, feeling the air leave my lungs like never before. Breathing felt like a chore, one I wasn't prepared to do. Voldemort's scratchy chuckle ringing in my ears as I panicked.

"It was supposed to work! Why didn't it work?" I screamed turning to those I trusted? Sirius had refused to look at me, his eyes were stuck on Harry's unmoving body. Remus couldn't make eye contact for over two seconds and Molly was a wreck. She saw us like her own children, it was making her anxiety go through the roof. I couldn't see anyone else, no one that would tell me anything, or calm me down.

"You and I see still linked, yes?" I turned not liking the little help I was receiving, taking my anger out on the other team. Voldemort's smile faded, knowing his answer would determine what happens next.

"No, which means I am well within my right to kill you." I rolled my eyes at hi threat, preparing to answer back but he put his finger up to shush me, "as this was clearly our victory, I will however, give you an opportunity to live." His eyes locked with mine, staring each other down with hatred. "Join me and you shall not have the same fate as your brother here." his hand waved to his left causing me to look at Harry again. His glasses crooked as his face partially black from the duels he had participated in.

"I might have to call your bluff." I snarled turning to Sirius without a worry that Voldemort would kill me. I was still linked, I could feel it. He just didn't want to know how far I would go until he was dead. "Padfoot." I whispered, tapping him to look at me, "this was the plan, can I use your knife." I stared down at the blade he had tucked into his jeans. He always had it with him, used to say it gave him an advantage. He was shaking his head, his eyes still not directing at me. "How do you expect this to end? He can't live, it puts too many people at risk." I pulled it out and he reacted just as quick, not quite taking the blade from me.

"Katherine." he managed to get out, unable to say anymore. I just pushed away, watching Mrs Weasley want to run to me. I held it up, trying to prove a point, as I watched the dark lords smirk drop instantly. The look of rage completely taking over. His pure emerald eyes speaking for themselves, the piercing glare told me everything I needed to know but part of me needed to see him beg. To be at my mercy, having to give in to the enemy in order to live. I wanted to see him pathetic, remorseful even.

"WAIT!" He screeched pacing in front of his troops, his fists clenching in the air as his teeth grinded against each other. It made me smirk rather smugly. He was so desperate to live that he just gave himself away. He began whispering to Bellatrix and Lucius Malfoy, clearly trying to come up with a fail-safe.

When I waited in silence I found myself drawn to Harry, like I could feel his heart beating. His fingers twitching as he tried to stay as still as possible. I had hidden my relief as so many thoughts ran through my head. He was close enough to Lucius and Bella to hear what they were saying, he was planning out what to do in his head. Trying to figure out what his best option would be. No one had noticed but I could just sense that he was okay. We had never been onto believe in twin-sense or anything like that, but for a second I did. I just knew.

I shot my attention away from Harry as I saw Voldemort turn out the corner of my eye, not trying to put too much suspicion on him.

"Enough bloodshed! Me nor you have to die." He spoke in an octave higher than usual. "We can compromise-" He was cut off as we both screamed in agony. Harry had made his move, I felt Molly's hand supporting me as I groaned on the floor. Death eaters were apparating away when I felt the pain stop. It just ended, however, Voldemort's didn't.

"Kat!" I felt someone sigh from behind taking Molly's place, I felt his hand on my back and I immediately felt comforted, safe. "What's happening?" He grunted, looking around at everyone. He gripped me tighter when seeing Harry in the position he was in.

It didn't look good for him, he was struggling. The clenched jaw and both hands on his wand told me that. Fred knew I couldn't just leave him, that's why he kept a tight hold on me

I didn't answer, instead I watched as Harry ducked and shot spells at a very infuriated Voldemort. I had already reached for my wand that was out in front of me, but Fred was adamant on keeping his hand on my arm. He was afraid I would do something stupid.

I wasn't going to go any closer. That was my advantage, Voldemort was distracted. It was clear to me that Harry's opponent was inches away from winning. His bright green sparks creeping up closer and closer to Harry, I watched as they focused only on each other. Both their hands shaking uncontrollably at the force they were putting into their magic. I wanted to shoot the killing curse right then; but as to be expected I was scared of death. If our link was still sustainable, I would die. If it's for my brother its worth it.

"Sectumsempra!" Was all I could bring myself to say. I felt myself along with many others bodies being thrown back at the spell retracting. The power that ran through us all making our ears ring from the readjustment. I had used that spell, of all things. But when I forced myself to look down at my stomach, there wasn't anything. It made no sense.

I coughed as I sat up, trying to see through the now dusty air, filling the air with a thickness that made it difficult to breathe. Harry was laying flat on the floor at a distance, I immediately went to him as he looked life-less. When I reached his side I shook him profusely but the blast must of knocked him clean out. He was still breathing which made me feel confident to leave him, I had to see it. I had to see the bastard bleeding out helplessly, with no army to help him.

I tumbled over the ground with my inability to see clearly, catching sight of the elder wand disregarded on the floor.

"Kat, DON'T!" I heard Harry's voice call out from behind me, I turned and covered my eyes as the wind kicked in. Harry was limping his way towards me, not to stop me. It was as a precaution. With Voldemort everything is unpredictable, we will never know his true capability. I gripped his hand and we walked together, a distant croak was heard to our left and the black figure laying on the ground whilst gripping his stomach in torturous pain. I didn't have a reason to doubt it this time, we had completed it. We had done what Dumbledore had wanted, we had fulfilled his dying wish as well as saved everyone we had cared about.

- currently don't have a phone, so updating from my computer.

this isn't the end of the dark period, just to warn you :)