20| overwhelming guilt

"Katherine, stop walking!"

"What do you want Harry?"

"I heard what happened with Malfoy, you didn't have to do that. But either way I'm sorry for snapping at you." He sounded sincere enough for me to lose my stern facial expression.

"I did it because he deserved it, and apology accepted. How does he look, is it bad?" He nodded with a small smile trying to hide his happiness with what I did. "Alright stop smiling Haz, you're sisters just a badass that's all." He chuckled as I linked our arms walking down the corridor.

We found Ron standing in the direction we were walking joining him in conversation. "So you two done arguing now?" I rolled my eyes at him before talking about Ronnie's return making them both uninterested.

"I know you don't like her, but she's my bestfriend so stop being dicks!" I huffed crossing my arms at them trying to look serious which only made them giggle.

"Your best friend huh? What does that make me and Hermione?" Ron said with a pout wiping away his non existent tears.

"I have multiple Ronald, you're at the bottom of the list I'm afraid.." I joked backhanding his arm before gripping it in pain, still swollen and sore from last nights beating.

"Potters." McGonagall called out to us in the crowded hallway making Harry and I look at each other with confused glances.

"This can't be good..."

"Ah fuck." I responded being dragged to where she was standing by my brother.

"Enjoying yourselves are we?"

"Kat and I have a free period Professor." I nodded at Harry's words in case she didn't believe him.

"I noticed, I thought you would like to fill it with potions, or is it not your ambition to become an auror?"

"That's Harry's ambition not mine, so I'm gonna g-" I spoke turning on my heel back to Ron.

"Not so fast Miss Potter, Professor Slughorn is happy to accept new students who got Exceeds Expectations or Outstandings like you in their O.W.L's!" Clearly not giving me a choice was annoying I hated potions even though I was rather good at it, but then again that was with Snape this is with Slughorn.

"Brilliant, we should head there right now!" The obvious sarcasm in my voice wasn't intentional but I just smiled nervously at McGonagall hoping she didn't sense the rudeness.

"Take Weasley with you, he looks far too happy over there..." I laughed before grabbing Ron's arm pulling him down from the steps he stood on making him groan, while not resisting.

"I don't wanna take potions, there's quidditch trials coming up. I have to practise!"

"I don't wanna do it either Ron but McGonagall gave us no choice, so suck it up buttercup." He threw his arm around my shoulder dramatically dropping all his weight on me while I struggled to keep us both standing "Merlin Ron! Get off me you tosspot!" He giggled still not listening to my demands, I quickly pushed his arm from my shoulder making him flop to the floor harshly.

"Ow- Kat!"

"Should of listened Ronniekins!" I blew him a kiss before jogging forward to walk back in line with Harry leaving my best friend behind in a fit of laughter. Walking in the class was awkward all heads turned to look towards us for being late,

"Ah Harry, Katherine I was beginning to worry. O and who might this be?"

"Ron Weasley sir, I'm dead awful at potions a menace actually so I'm probably just gonna-" I grabbed his hood on his robe and pulled him back with a firm grip.