21| short-lived

"Hermione I need your help, do you have a free period?" I spoke entwining my hands together in a begging form to get her to help me, she rolled her eyes with a subtle smile nodding her head. I knew she was headed to the library to study, so the fact she stopped doing that to help me shocked me a little, very un-Hermione of her.

We walked to the Gryffindor common room settling on the sofa instantly feeling the heat from the flamed fire before us. "So what is it you need help with Kat?"

"I want to do something for Fred, like a howler but not one that's for anger. More of a letter with my voice reading it out to him?" She tapped her finger to her chin in thought, If anyone knew of anything like this it would be Mione.

"OF COURSE! I know just the charm to use, I read about it in third year." I smiled pumping my fists in the air glad we could pull this off, "you need to know you can only do this once on the letter, so you need to get it right first time. You need to spell your quill to write while you talk, any idea what you want to say?"

Not responding I quickly pulled out my paper and quill placing it in front of Hermione as she reached for her wand in her robe. I felt a nervousness take over my body, a million butterflies fluttering in my stomach knowing what I wanted to say, but whether I'll be able to is another story. She began calling out a unknown spell which honestly sounded like gibberish to my ears. "All done now talk clearly, while I keep quiet." she whispered in my ear making sure the letter didn't pick up her voice.
Taking a shaky breath in I rubbed my palms on my thighs trying to rub away the sweaty feeling on them.

'Freddie,
So... I really wanted to do this for you, as I already miss you like crazy. Sleeping in my dorm isn't the same and although I have had to do it since you left last year, it still doesn't feel right. Next time I see you will be Christmas break, feels like ages away from this point but I already have ideas in mind of what we can do when we see eachother. Last time I saw you was so short-lived, but it's a day I will never forget. I wa-"

"I'm telling you Harry, you should of seen Kat flirting with Malfoy in the abandoned hallway. She couldn't have been more obvious if she tri-" Ron stopped in the entrance to the common room when he met my eyes staring wide-eyed at me scratching the back of his head awkwardly I wanted to punch him, the way I punched Draco. Or worse. Until Hermione tapped me out of my sharp glares at the red head pushing me to finish.

'What I'm trying to say is I love you, and I miss you and being called love. Yours Katherine.' Hermione quickly tapped her wand at the parchment not wanting to get what was about to go down in the letter.

I instantly stomped up out of my seat taking steps towards him "Are you kidding me Ronald! If you want to say something to me, say it. Don't be a coward and say things about me that aren't even true!" I screamed at him feeling my face heat up with frustration and anger, he stepped back gulping down the lump in his throat clearly frightened of me doing the same as I did the Draco, he was right. I was going to. Taking a deep breath to calm my rage "I apologised to Malfoy because I took what I did too far, you got a problem with that come talk to me about it instead of talking about it to my brother" Harry's face paled not wanting to meet my stone cold stare, I grabbed my bag from the floor stuffing my quill inside.

"Whatever I'm done with this, thanks for your help Mione. Fuck you Ron." With that I stormed out the room wanting to burst into tears at the feelings I felt towards one of my best friends, feeling a sense of hatred even if I knew I didn't really feel that way. As soon as I entered the common room I felt the stares of multiple Slytherins on me, as they ran out the room frightened of me in my angry state.

"Potter?" Someone spoke up from behind me making me spin on my heel to face him coming eye to eye with the now healed, platinum blonde haired boy I had apologised to earlier on today. I sighed closing my eyes clearing my eyes of their tears. "What's happened?" He asked me with an actual tone of caring, I shook my head struggling to uphold my strong face turning more into a look of me holding in a sob. This was common for me, crying when I'm angry it's my only reasonable response after releasing my thoughts by screaming them at the person who angered me. But I didn't want to scream or cry, I wanted to be hugged, comforted by the only man who hasn't hurt me.

I couldn't even have that.

"Listen Katherine, you look pale. At least sit down..." Before even allowing me to respond he pulled my arm to the nearest chair, pushing my shoulders down forcefully to do as he said. "Is it that time of the month or something?" Draco asked me awkwardly not really wanting to know the answer I chuckled at him calming me down, finally pushing the tears away.

"Thankyou Draco, really. I needed that." He half smiled not really knowing what to do or say next so I stood from the chair tapping his shoulder leaving to the girls dorms.

...

Entering the room it was no surprise to see Ronnie curled up in a ball under her duvet at 2pm, I quickly lifted her covers slipping inside making her eyes open slightly with a yawn. "K? Are you good?" I nodded wrapping my arms around her, her doing the same to me drifting us off into a sleep.

-

"Oi Potter, you're blood-traitor friends are outside." My eyes shot open at the mention, even if I was infuriated with them I would not allow them to be spoken about that way by Parkinson of all people.

"Get your head out your own arse Pansy, go back to Blaise we much prefer it when you're not here." I spat at her making her turn away after giving me a dirty look. I slid out of bed carefully placing the covers back up to Veronica's shoulders as I left the room, glad I rested for this conversation.

"There outside Kat..." Taylor spoke from his spot on the couch as I walked down the stairs, "Zabini had a fit because they were in here." A voice spoke sitting up from his laying position on the sofa with its back to me, it was Seb making me smile walking over to him. I brought him into a tight hug ruffling his hair before doing the same to Tay.

"What do I even say to her, I didn't mean for her to hear bu-" hushed whispers were heard from outside the door clearly identifiable as Ron. He soon shut up when the door opened revealing a more calm mannered Katherine than they had seen last. "Kat I-"

The redhead started before I put my palm up to him ushering him to shut up, "Let's go to the lake" I suggested to them making them all nod, rapidly turning around walking there in complete silence.

I wanted to come here as we used to sit around here together during our free time making unforgettable memories, and it had been a while since we had any of those. Taking a seat on the patches of grass looking out at the misty water I waited for them all to be seated before blurting out, "You pissed me off I'm not gonna lie to you."

"B-"

"I'm not finished Ronald. I get what you meant by it, but it's Malfoy for Godrick's sake I busted his face up all but days ago now, and you think me apologising is 'flirting'?" I spoke putting forceful air-quotes with my fingers side by side my head. "But I'm not mad, just disappointed that you felt the need to talk about your thoughts on me, to anyone but me." He agreed and I pointed my hand towards him, telling him he could talk.

"I am sorry Kat, I don't know why I was saying that stuff about you. For once I'll admit to being a tosspot, I promise I'll talk to you about anything I have to say." I giggled before pulling him into me sealing the end of our argument with an embrace.

I quickly pulled out from his arms turning to a smiling Hermione who was clearly overjoyed that we had sorted out our problems. "Oh! Wait Mione where did you put the letter to Fred?" I asked curiously wanting to rip it up and send him a regular letter instead, just incase Ron's words were picked up in it.

"I sent it for you as you left it on the table?" I gasped widening my eyes, paranoid thoughts flooding my mind. I don't know what I would do if he heard it, mainly with the fact that it's Malfoy of all people would make the situation one hundred times worse for Fred and his thoughts.

"Katherine?" I was called from my anxiousness "I asked you what's wrong?" Hermione said sternly clearly not seeing the issue.

"Oh nothing don't worry, I'm hungry can we go dinner?"