77| free-elf

"You're okay, open your eyes!" I felt someone touching my face as I was still screaming, the pain hadn't eased. It shouldn't have been going on this long.

It was about time we figured out exactly what was wrong with me.

"Kat, drink!" I wasn't sure what Hermione was giving me but I was too unaware to question it.

It helped, in fact, I felt my muscles relax and stop tensing, it was a massive relief. I was heavily breathing gripping the sand beneath me in my fists. The calm and peacefulness I felt in that moment didn't last long though, "Hermione, are you okay? Are you hurt?" I shot up from my laying position to inspect her but she didn't have little more than a scratch.

"I'm fine, are you though?" She asked me in return, full of worry in her eyes, she looked so broken and who could blame her? She was tortured, you didn't have to see it to know that, her screams were traumatising enough.

"Yes, yes I'm fine now. Where's Dobby?" I mumbled looking around at the three stood before me. "Did he not make it out?" I asked with a shaky voice, I pushed passed them looking along the beachfront frantically. Any form of movement was hurting but not so much to stop me from making sure everyone was safe and sound.

I caught sight of him a few metres down the beach, he was laying in a ball, his knees up to his chest. He was rocking himself in a way that didn't quite seem normal, his small skinny frame curled up like that made him look so abnormal. "Dobby!" I called out to him waving at the others to follow me down to him, I had expected a response once I called out his name but I heard nothing.

I sped the fastest I could, it was only when I was close enough to see his blood-stained clothing, he was shaking uncontrollably and his whole body was pale, it was horrifying seeing him so vulnerable and unwell.

"Oh my god!" I cried settling myself down beside him. I thought it was best if I quickly pulled off the jumper I was wearing to apply pressure to the wound. A wound of this size on such a tiny creature would give him no chance of survival, I knew that, but I would never forgive myself if I didn't try.

"What's wrong?-" Hermione gasped looking down at the little house-elf tucked in my arms. If anyone would react badly to this, it would be Harry. He had always found a friend in Dobby, not that I didn't but Harry always was closer to him. Harry spoke so highly of him, always.

"Dobby is grateful to have served Katherine Potter..." he muttered out in his normal croaky voice, "Harry Potter!" He smiled beside me as Harry looked down at him, he was in shock as his eyes welled. I was still applying pressure hoping it would help in some way.

"Where's my wand, I can help him!" I looked up frantically at the group but they all turned their heads back to where we were before, "go get it, NOW!" I shouted as Ron headed back there, I stayed beside him insisting that he has to keep his eyes open. He was fading, I could tell, he was trying his hardest to follow my orders but it would only last so long. "Just stay awake, please." I cried holding his cheek in my hands.

I kept watching his breathing, it was slowing rapidly, and his eyes, his eyes were closed. They were no longer struggling to stay open, they were completely closed. And as for his breathing, it had stopped. His tiny frame was no longer shaking, he was paler than before. He was gone, I hadn't saved him, I could've but I didn't.

"Here!" Ron spoke completely out of breath handing me my wand while he kept all the others he collected in his other hand.

"It's too late, he's dead." I snapped at him before laying Dobby back on the ground. It was inevitable, whenever Bellatrix is involved we lose someone we care about. It was the last straw. "Let's get inside." I sighed wiping away my tears, I was drained, utterly drained.

"We need to fill you in on everything." Hermione looked at me with a remorseful frown, making me curious about what could have possibly happened when I was only away for a week or so.

...

It wasn't exactly bad news, it actually made me happy that some progress was made. They had managed to find the sword of Gryffindor and destroy a Horcrux.

"You mean you actually managed to do it, the lockets gone?" I asked with a relieved grin, I thought I'd be miserable but this happened to be some of the best news I'd hope for.

"It is, but there are still more," Hermione answered pacing along the grass in front of me, she was panicking like crazy.

"I'm going to bury him." Harry finally spoke, he had been silent since Dobby had passed, not a single word.

"Well, we will come with you-"

"No. I want to be alone." He snapped not looking back at us, instead, walking to where the little house-elf's body was. He wasn't angry at us, I had come to know his anger towards Bellatrix was one of the worst, I felt the exact same way.

"Fine, I'll go to the station see if the others are okay..." I nodded to them both as they set off into the small cottage Bill and Fleur owned.

I apparated to the station, not seeing many people around. I knew they wouldn't stay in view of all these muggles, the best place to try would be on the platform.

It wouldn't be busy this time of year, the school year was still ongoing giving them the freedom to stay out of sight. If I had known we were going to the cottage I would've sent them there instead.

"Katherine, you're okay!" I heard Luna call from in front of a small group, she looked so delighted to see me come for her. She always seemed to take the light in a situation, I admired it.

"Luna, you shouldn't be out in the open," I whispered taking her arm before running through the wall entrance to platform 9 3/4. "Take my arm, we will go back to the others."

"I should get back to my father, he's probably awfully worried." She spoke lightly hugging me tightly, I think her leaving would be for the best, hopefully, it would keep her away from all this. Luna is one of the good ones, she deserves her normal-ish life.

"Dean, Ollivander and...Goblin, are you coming?"

"Griphook!" The tiny, large-nosed goblin snarled at me, I had known goblins to be vile and feisty creatures but you'd think after saving their life they would appreciate it.

"I suggest you watch it, or I could leave you on the train tracks," I argued back putting my hand out in front of them to grab on, which they all did.

As selfish as it sounds, I wanted to rush back to the cottage, hoping that Fred hadn't left yet. It had only been a short time since I had seen him and yet that's all I seemed to want.

The time spent wasn't enough, no time would ever be enough.